_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Select Country
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Newbie needs some advise!!
Totenkorp
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 47 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 06:25 AM UTC
Hi huys, am trying to pick up a hobby which i left behind donkey years ago when i was still a teenager...so you probably have an idea how old i am!!! But am seriously thinking of building AFVs from WWII esp those from the German army. Basically would like the bros here to advise me on the following:

1. Think i need to brush up on my building skills so a place to pick up a book would really help!

2. A reliable shop to go to....cos i went to a jap owned hobby shop near Selegie n they werent very helpful..

3. Some advise on basic equipment setup that i may need, stuff like paints, brushes, airbrush systems etc without burning a hole in my pocket!!

Any help will be much appreciated bros!! Many thanks in advance!!
grayghost666
entire network: 2,458 Posts
KitMaker Network: 163 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2013 - 04:01 PM UTC
Hello Jack,
I got a subscrib to fine scale mag to start off with. they have a bunch of tips and articles about all types of modeling. the address to the web site is www.FineScale.com.

for models check out Dragons web site. I think it is www.dragononline.com there is also squadron, I do not know the web site, but on the home page there is a place for web business so you can look there.

For tools you will need a spruce cutter, tweezers of differant types such as angle edge, blunt edge, etc.straight razors, PE cutters and a PE Folder.

on painting, it depends on what you want to do and how much money you want to spend. Air Burshing, you will need a air compresser, air brush and I would suggest using Vallejo paints for air brushes, a water trap, a air pressure control and the tubbing thing that goes from the air brush to the compresser with it.

Hand Painting is easier to do as all you nees is paint brushes, thinner, paint and mixing jars.

Books you can get from differant sites, your local library or as gifts from friends/family.

I would also suggest you have a area that is used only for modeling and for your books/materials. I have my own area that is used for modeling only with my computer next to it for quick look ups on the model I am working on.

I hope this will help you and Please PM me if you have any othe questions or need any help.

Cheers,
Bruce
 _GOTOTOP