_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Basement flood update
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 08:24 AM UTC
Well, almost a week has gone by since I cleared out my flooded man-land portion of my basement. I was able to get new padding down, the carpet re-laid, a good vaccuming, and finally the carpet steamed cleaned today. While the damaged area was only about 380 feet of the 650 or so square foot area, it was enough to be a royal PITA. The carpet is clean, with no signs of mold or mildew. The carpet cleaning guy, who I've used before, really knows his stuff and assured me that my neighbors did a good job to minimize to damage by ripping out the old/wet padding. I feel tons better knowing this. I got new shelves up so everything will be off of the floor should, God forbid, it happens again. The kits that were damaged have been gone over and I only needed to toss out four of the 75 or so boxes that got wet, and only a handful of decals didn't survive. Tomorrow I will start to re-load the room with my benches, display cabinets etc.. and hopefully, will be back to building by Saturday as I have a contest that I really, really want to enter on the 22nd in Denver. I did receive some good news though. Although my window wells filled with 34" of water, the window didn't break, it just bowed the frame in enough to allow the water to ruch in. My neighbor down the street wasn't as lucky. His window filled to within an inch of the top (They are 48" windows) and the window exploded inwards. So he had glass, water and mud in his basement. Unfortunately, he didn't discover it until 4 days after the fact. I feel his pain. Anyway, just thought I would share. Thanks again to all who expressed their concern and suggestions for fixing the problem. "Q"
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 08:45 AM UTC
Hi Mathew. Glad to hear things ended up better than you originally feared. Cant say Ive ever experienced anything like that ... and hopefully wont ... but I think Id curl up in a very small ball and stay there for a long time if it happened to me.
Find any lost parts when re-setting the carpet?
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 11:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Find any lost parts when re-setting the carpet?

As a matter of fact I did, but they weren't of any use. Thanks "Q"
DeskJockey
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,558 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 11:31 AM UTC
glad to hear that everything is getting back to normal and that the damage wasn't as great as you feared.

Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 11:47 AM UTC
Glad to hear things are retuning to normal.
Herchealer
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,523 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 11:49 AM UTC
Matt,
Glad to hear things are getting back to normal. What were the 4 kits you lost? perhaps I could send you a replacement if i have one... I have more than i could ever build..

herky
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 01:36 AM UTC
Jeremy,
Thanks for the offer. Don't sweat it. I bought some really large zip lock bags and was able to turn most of the lost kits into bagged kits only needing decals at this point and I got most of those on order. I do appreciate the offer though. Thanks, "Q"
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 10:28 PM UTC
Glad to see that this cloud has a Silver lining.

Bravo
 _GOTOTOP