_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
A little story about modelling addiction
Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,208 Posts
KitMaker Network: 52 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 11:13 PM UTC
Some of you will I’m sure be in the same position as me, if so I hope this helps to know you’re not alone! Otherwise let it be a warning of things to come!....

So,
I had to attend a conference recently in Dublin, and despite living in (Northern) Ireland for a year now I haven’t done more than passed through the city. So with this opportunity on hand, the first thing I do is not plan my sightseeing tour of the capital but to find out where the hobby shops are!

Once in Dublin I go out of my way to visit the shops, the first of which I decide to pick up a kit for a dio I am planning, as you do. I then hike right to the top of the town to another shop where I find the old Italeri kit of the RSO mit Pak 40 that I’ve wanted to build for a while. The kit is second hand and the box is damaged, so I ask the shop owner its condition. He informs me that although a couple of parts are off the spruces, he thinks its all there and will refund me if not. Fair enough, and at 10 euro (£6/$12) it’s a bargain.

So I get back to the hotel and check the kit. It’s all there and although a bit dated, looks a fun and simple build. I also note that I have a few spare parts (mainly ammo and a barrel for the Pak 40) at home, with which to detail the kit - great!

The next day I start thinking, it’d be nice to have a crew for this, so off to the shops I go again. I don’t really find much suitable until I notice DML’s Pak 40 with Fallschirmjager crew kit, aha! I can use the crew and use the bulk of the gun to update the RSO! However, I remind myself, it costs more than the base kit, don’t be stupid.
'Never mind', I later con myself and the gun is purchased.

Back home again I get on the internet to get some reference pics and research, which just makes me realize that several of the Italeri kit parts need a bit of work, namely the tracks. So Armorama to the rescue – what do people recommend? Before I know it I’m given plenty of useful advice and references and a set of MK tracks are ordered.
Also suggested are the PE kits available. I check them out but decide, ‘there’s nothing I cant do with spare PE and some plastic card’. The next day I order Aber’s basic set for the RSO.

Its’ then I turn my attention to the gun crew. DML have sneakily used a three man spruce twice to create 5 figures, the latter two made up from various parts of the first three. ‘Can’t have that, they look a bit similar’ I think and so it’s off to order DML’s Fallschirmjager ‘hedgerow tank hunters’ and Verlinden’s ‘German paratrooper update set’ to allow me to modify the original gun crew to get some more varied and in-action poses. While I’m at it I decide to get Aber’s 75mm and 88mm ‘bottom plate’ set to detail the base of the ammunition I’ll be using, I con myself that it’ll add extra detail and I’m sure to use the 88mm and unused plates in future projects.

It’s only now that I think exactly what a ‘cheap’ £6 kit has actually cost me:

DML Pak 40 with crew: £18
MK Replacement Tracks: £19
Aber PE: £14
DML Hedgerow tank hunters: £5
VLS Paratrooper update set: £10
Aber ‘bottom plates’: £6

That’s £72 on parts for a £6 kit and doesn’t even add on postage.

Man I’ve got a problem, please help!

James
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberDirector of Member Services
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 6,693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,042 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 11:50 PM UTC
Hi James,
But , haven't you been having a LOT of fun for those £72 ?
There is stil some spare figures to be used for other projects ;-)
/ Robin
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 11:56 PM UTC
Ha ha I did almost the same the same when I found the Italeri M113 in a charity shop for €4. Though I don't normally build modern i thought what a bargain then spent about €50 euro on crew stowage and aftermarket add ons funny thing is it's still on the shelf half built.

I hope you enjoyed Dublin by the way.
vanhall
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
entire network: 406 Posts
KitMaker Network: 13 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 12:14 AM UTC
I used to ponder about the self same problem..
How I (con)sole myself:
Cost of project: £72
Est. time of build: 2 mths+(60days+)
Max. cost per day: £1.20
What can I buy for £1.20 that would give me as much fun,pleasure,satisfaction?
Nothing.
Problem solved.

Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 03:19 AM UTC
Thanks for the replies guys, I'm feeling better already!

@Robin - Yes I will be having a lot of fun, and yes I will have a few spares (which is how I justify some of my purchases to myself) + i'll be happier with the finished deal.

@Pat - glad i'm not the only one! I think the fact you got the base kit so cheap helps justify all the AM purchases to yourself. Dublin was great, I really didn't have long enough there to see everything, will have to go back again sometime. I did get to attend a state reception in Dublin castle though which was very nice!

@vanhall - thats an excellent way of putting it. although perhaps if I sent the money on beer...... nah I think you're right for the money nothing comes close, and besides the finised product is priceless to you when its done!

James
drabslab
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,186 Posts
KitMaker Network: 263 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 07:43 AM UTC
No, you do not have a problem,

actually, you are just getting the hang of it. listen, our hobby seems expensive but just calculate only once how much time you will spend for those 72 pounds andtry to find any hobby or occupation which is less expensive.

By the way, which hoby stores in Dublin do you recommend and where are they? I am once or twice a year over there and sometimes i have abit of spare time
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 12:16 PM UTC
I freely admit to having the same problem.
Admitting is half the battle for any addiction.
Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 08:34 PM UTC
Thanks guys,

@ drabslab, I think thats how we can justify the expense, the value for money for time spent is a great asset to our hobby. I just wish I could really afford to spend £80+ on a model!
The two shops I frequented in dublin are 'Mark's Models' and 'All Models' and I would recommend them both. There is also a toymaster which stocks Revell plane/boat kits if thats your thing. If you want more info then send me a PM as I have directions to find both stores.

@ Dave, lol! I think you're right, now i've admitted my problem perhaps I can begin to cure myself (doubtful!)

James
 _GOTOTOP