_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
the "excellent" tamiya spray-work HG airbrush
steelskin
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
entire network: 180 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 06:03 PM UTC
hello! i’m thinking of buying a new airbrush and one option i’m looking at is the tamiya spray-work HG airbrush II. i’ve read a few positive reviews but i’m still a bit skeptical because it seems relatively cheap. does anybody own this airbrush? how does it compare with the other ABs out there? i would greatly appreciate your replies
steelskin
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2007 - 03:17 PM UTC
wow, still no replies. either this airbrush is as rare as a dodo or they don’t sell them outside of japan…
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2007 - 10:08 PM UTC
Might be as rare as Hens Teeth here.

Because I have never seen one in any shop here.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 04:26 AM UTC
sorry for the delay.
I use the HG Superfine and love it.
You do need to get the badger adaptor to connect to air sources (if they have the standard badger type airbrush fitting) , next to moving over to CO2, I think it is the best thing to happen to my airbrushing.

I used to use the testors/Aztec and did not like the results at all, this brush has a very good paint /air control and I am completely sold on it.

My US$0.02, your mileage may vary.

Mike
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 06:15 AM UTC
Tamiya airbrushes are made by Iwata and are identical in quality. I have an HG and all I have to say is - BUY IT! You will be in love with it from the first shot and you'll save piles of money over buying the same Iwata!
steelskin
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 02:34 PM UTC
whew! thank you guys for the info. the initial lack of replies really got me down not because nobody answered but because i interpreted it as either a) nobody has anything good to say about the tamiya airbrush and thus nobody bothered to reply or b) nobody buys it because it has a bad rep.

i’m glad neither has turned out to be true. i really don’t have many options where i live and when i saw the tamiya airbrushes at my favorite LHS...well, it was like an answered prayer. you don’t know how relieved and excited i am! this has certainly made my week!
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
entire network: 2,511 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,296 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 03:04 PM UTC
hi there...

i used tamiya superfine which is almost the same except for the paint cup and the nozzle/needle size... i love my airbrush...

i thnk u had better grab the one you saw at LHS.... so how cheap is relatively cheap ?? i may need a few fitting adaptor to connect it to an air source...
steelskin
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 03:54 PM UTC
so am i correct in assuming that you all use the tamiya spray-work HG superfine? i heard that it is great for fine details but my concern is whether it’s versatile enough for all-around use…like doing base coats and camo? to put it simply, should i get HG airbrush II or the superfine?

silantra,

well, both the tamiya spray-work HG airbrush II and the spray work HG airbrush superfine costs 5,200 pesos and that’s around 112 dollars (US). i couldn’t believe it because the badger 150 that i saw at an artitst shop was priced at 7,200 pesos or about 154 dollars.
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 04:15 PM UTC
steelskin,

i think u got yourselfe pretty good bargain on the ab... $112 is reasonable enough..i got mine around that price too...

i've been using my SF for multiple use from priming, basecoating, weathering... i think it's versatile enough for me.. unless u intended to spray cake icing sugar ..hehe

but due to the small cup size, sometimes u have to pour a few times of paints for larger subject...
the HG is a good airbrush too......

my suggestion is to go for it!
steelskin
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 04:51 PM UTC
ok, thanks for the tip! one final question: should i get the trigger type or the one with the button?
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 05:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

ok, thanks for the tip! one final question: should i get the trigger type or the one with the button?

i haven try any of the trigger type ab before...
u can have the 'button' type if u please........
steelskin
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 05:40 PM UTC
thank you for the quick replies. i think i will take your advice. am planning to drop by the LHS after work and pick up one of the tamiya ABs before they’re all gone.

thanks everyone. you've been a big help. i love this site!
 _GOTOTOP