_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Invaluable “Bits and Pieces” of PE & whatnots
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,770 Posts
KitMaker Network: 747 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 12:05 PM UTC
Okay all…I’m really, really hoping to hear from you all on this. This is a bit of a rant based on, yet again, launching another piece of PE into the gaping jaws of (in my case) the concrete monster. To say the least, it’s annoying…worse, it’s a straight up (uh, auto censored word?) bad thing.

Here’s what set this off: I’m working on a modified T-34/85. It’s the Dragon Premium kit with those two little frets of PE. Specifically, I was working on the external fuel can brackets and can. I have a set of Anubis (veddy nice indeed) cans and brackets and the kit’s PE. While attaching the “hook” to the back side of the bracket (that which the strap attaches to), the little (bad name) launched on me. Could not find it. Will never find it. Until I no longer need it. Typical scenario to the “Carpet gods.” There are six of these in the set, and yup, you need all six. One is now gone. So, what do you do?

Herein lies the reasoning for this post (for the newbs and the “been-there-done-that’s”). Specifically, WHAT do you have in your “spares box/stash” to CYA and “save the day??” In this case, I used a very small piece of the PE fret to make the long part and an Aber buckle from their “Buckles and Straps” set. It worked! Woohoo!

I also have a set of Eduard PE hinges (lost a couple of those too) for the kits that have molded-on hinges that could use some sprucing up. There’s also (in my “Save the day” box) a sheet of thin copper, thin brass, thin lead (good for slings), and brass mesh. And now a set of large and small Aber recessed diamond plate sheets (which will be needed for this build).

So, just what do you have to “Save the day??” What have you found to be an invaluable bit of PE (or resin)? Yea, I know we all keep the “left overs” from various kits…My question resides in the realm of AM to have on hand.

Looking forward to hearing the input…there is always more room for those things that make the modeling life easier after one has “screwed the pooch.”

Mike
DeskJockey
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,558 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 01:17 PM UTC
I've got thin lead foil, florist wire, and that's it. I've been meaning to buy some generic buckles, but haven't done so. As a result, the most reliable part of my "save the day" kit is my set of powerful twin daylight-bulb desk lamps. When a piece goes flying, I hunt for the little [censored bad word] until I find it. One time it took me an hour on hands and knees, and I found the part in a box on my work desk instead of the floor...
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 01:30 PM UTC
Lucas,

I did the Search and Rescue...to no avail. I couldn't find the little bugger. Heck, I didn't even see which way it went!

Ah yes...add to the list: three spools of small wire (grab handles) and several spools of "trip wire" from my Army days.

The buckles have been great, but the hinges have been even better; a "must have."

Thanks for adding.

Mike
DeskJockey
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,558 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 01:39 PM UTC
What set of hinges do you have?

TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 02:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What set of hinges do you have?

Eduard 35-245, "Hinges." Small fret with a decent variety of basic hinges along with "strip" hinges...their mostly one-piece hinges, but there are a few that are the two-piece variety. I've used them on my current build, an A7V, and an RPM Polish armored car. All kinds of uses for 'em! Hatches, boxes, this' and that's.

Mike
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 12:33 AM UTC
I wish some of the PE companies would do more of the "generic" sets.... spoked wheels, hinges, tie downs, buckles and the like..................
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 11:49 AM UTC
Sorry for the delayed post; been doing the final details to the T-122.

Just on this kit alone I've found the need for "loose" and extra PE fret, the lead sheet, two sizes of wire, and a couple of hinges from the Eduard set.

On other kits I've used a variety of the wire, a little bit of lead sheet (I can't emphasize enough how a small sheet can go sooooo far!!), and some of the hinges.

Something to add....don't throw away extra left over bits and pieces of other PE sets; you never know when that lil' bit o' brass may work perfect on another build! So sayeth experience!

Mike
 _GOTOTOP