_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Mold for TOW
PZKFWIII
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 119 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 02:17 AM UTC
I am going to attempt to cast resin for the first time, with "corrected" TOW missle endcaps from the Verlinden M901 conversion kit. I am doing a M966 right now (academy) and the endcaps for the Missles are all wrong. Here are the main questions...
1. I purchased cast'ncraft materials (clear resin, catalyst and Mold maker or mold goopey or some such) at AC Moore, but no pigment...didn't know what I should use. I guess I could just do the stuff clear, but that seems silly. What to use for pigment?

2. Can I do a one piece mold? the master is 2 missle ends about 1cm long and not a whole lot of back cuts.

3. Has anyone used this stuff and is it decent to make no more than 20 castings?

4. If I can't use this for castings, I can still use it in Dios, main question is...How to build up the sides of the dio, so if I do a stream or something, how to get a squared off appearance with the base?

Thanks
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 07:26 AM UTC
Generally, using silicone for molds and resin for casting, I decide to cast even for one copy when we talk about one piece molds. I calculated that you profit from casting as from 2 to 3 copies. When we talk about complicated stuctures that combine a number of pieces ( a resin upgrade kit), it would be cheaper to buy a second and third kit than to cast all in resin. Depends of the degree of difficulty and your experience.
THough I don't fully understand your problem, I think a one-piece mold must be possible. You'll have to watch over airbubbles, though.

Jan
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 07:47 AM UTC
Can you post pics of the piece (if possible different views) to get an idea of what it is possible to do?
Ciao
PZKFWIII
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 119 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2003 - 12:51 AM UTC
well, no pics, so I will try my best to describe it.

2 TOW missle tube ends (approximately 3/4 inch long) cylindrical in shape, with no detail until the end, where it flares out no more than 1mm x 1mm (think horn end) and then a little recessed on the bottom but no more than 0.5 mm

HTH
 _GOTOTOP