_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Razor Saw vs Jeweller's Saw?
Wingtsun
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 295 Posts
KitMaker Network: 34 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 07:24 AM UTC
If i buy a set of razor saws, would it be redundant to buy a set of jeweller's saws?

I have been using a razor saw blade attachment to my X-Acto handle and found it not very good as the blade tends to flex.
CReading
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,726 Posts
KitMaker Network: 558 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 08:59 AM UTC
Razor Saw vs Jeweller's Saw?

Two totally different animals!
The razor saw (long thin, flat blade) is for cutting fine straight lines without loosing too much material where the actual cut takes place. Example would be cutting off a fender the length of the vehicle.
A jeweler's saw is like a fine coping saw. Very fine blade that is fed through a small hole that has been drilled in the piece you want to cut out. Example would be if you wanted to cut a molded in engine hatch out of the middle of a tank. You would drill a tiny hole along the line that is to be cut, insert the jeweler's saw blade, reattach it to the handle giving it tension and carefully cut out the hatch.
Bottom line is that a razor saw cuts a straight line leaving a very thin cut out area and a jeweler's saw can cut curves,straight lines, scrolls etc.
I hope this makes sense?

Cheers,
Charles
Wingtsun
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 295 Posts
KitMaker Network: 34 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 09:49 AM UTC
Charles
Your explanation is very clear. I shall buy both types as they are not too expensive. Thank you

CReading
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,726 Posts
KitMaker Network: 558 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 03:47 PM UTC
Tony,
Keep in mind that the jeweler's saw blades are extremely small and delicate. You will break them very easily so get some spares. The jeweler's saw cuts on the down stroke so you kinda ease off exerting any pressure on the up stroke. It does take getting a feel for. Once you get the hang of it however the tool becomes indispensable. You can't lose buying both!
Cheers,
Chares
 _GOTOTOP