_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
When it rains...it sucks
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 31, 2007 - 04:06 PM UTC
Well, maybe not all the time, but for the time I was in California attending the IPMS national convention it sure did. While I was gone my wife said it rained extremely hard and one of my window wells in the basement filled to about 3/4 full, and then broke the window sending several hundred gallons of muddy water rushing into my basement where my model room is. Wet carpet, ruined padding, muddy water puddles on my models..etc. My first assessment of the damage is 50+/- kits either damaged or a total write off...as far as boxes and decals go. I'm still sorting this mess out and I just needed to vent. . The insurance adjuster should arrive this week. Hopefully all goes well with that. Wish me luck. Thanks. "Q"
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 31, 2007 - 10:00 PM UTC
That does suck sorry to hear of this misfortune.

Even more to hear of models fate.

I hope that you did not lose built one also.

Or were they built too?

A bummer this year in the weather I must say.

Hope Winter is not the same.

Well my best on your work to get everything back to normal.

Hope the appraiser gives you a Big bunch of money or built models.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 31, 2007 - 10:41 PM UTC
That's a bummer! Hope it all works out for the best.
DeskJockey
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,558 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 01:34 AM UTC
That really sucks, Matthew. I hope your insurance company will make you whole again.
HawkeyeV
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 319 Posts
KitMaker Network: 184 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 01:49 AM UTC
Water damage does suck. You might want to reassess your drainage to ensure it doesn't happen again. I have drains in my window wells that tie into the drain field to draw water away from my house. Make sure your down spouts extend far enough away down grade to carry the water away from the house. Speaking of grade, is your yard sloped away from the foundation? Insurance companies will probably pay for a single incident, but not for another if it is a situation waiting to happen over and over. Be sure to remove anything that got wet, if you don't you'll discover the joys of mold.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 03:12 AM UTC
Sounds like some Grading and Drainage needs to be done outside the windows. Some builders don't get site plans and look at that kind of stuff.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 12:48 PM UTC
Sorry to hear the news Matthew.
As someone who has gone through such a flood, although mine was from an overflowing river, and 5 foot of water, the clean up needed can be over whelming. Wacth out for mold spores after you get it all cleaned up.
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 03:06 PM UTC
Thanks for the words of comfort. A good friend came over today and we were able to clear my room out entirely in about an hour. We cleaned the floor with mold killer, let it dry, and then were able to lay new padding and relay and stretch the carpet back into place. As to the drainage problem, I found the source. My dog had chewed a hole in the french drain down spout right where it bends to run away from the house. All the water that drained from the house merely ran out the hole and onto the ground which is just a few short feet,(about 2') from the window well. I have excellent drainage away from the house, but the water simply had nowhere to go, but into the window well. The windows show approximately 20"-34" of water were in the well before the window failed. I think that says a lot about the seal. Something had to give and it took that much water to make it happen. Overall, I can recover from this. I canceled the insurance adjuster as my deductible would be more than it cost me to fix everything. A little over $200 for the padding, and about the same to fix the window. With the loss of the boxes, its just more incentive to build those kits. Anyway, thanks for the kind words and helpful suggestions. "Q"

ps. I have some excellent neighbors. I owe them for saving what they were able to by acting as quickly as they did. We have lots of beer to drink this week end.
wibbler
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 15 Posts
KitMaker Network: 10 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 01:50 AM UTC
hey matt , ever thought about making model boats ? . . . . exit stage right ! ! !
 _GOTOTOP