Shows and events in North America.
Local model shows?
sweaver
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 759 Posts
KitMaker Network: 131 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 09:58 AM UTC
I know about the big model shows, but are ther any local model shows around Ohio? I've looked in flyers and brochures at my LHS, but they are all nationwide.

Also, would it be worth it taking a few models to a show like this? I've never been to one before, so I don't know how they're run. Basically, if I don't place, will I get comments from others? Out of curiosity, do you think mine are good enough to even place in a local show? (this may sound greedy or cocky, but it isn't meant to)

Thanks!
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 10:45 AM UTC
Ohio is a pretty big state...
I am sure there are IPMS shows and contests in Ohio but I have no idea when or where. There is a good show in Indy every spring. The AMPS national convention is going to be in Auburn IN next April.

Shaun
armorstuv
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 164 Posts
KitMaker Network: 99 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 01:06 PM UTC
Mad City Modelers has our annual show in the spring. 2008 it will be on March 1. Go to the IPMS website for specifics. We also have the largest show in Wisconsin along with a world class raffle that is second to none. Hope to see you there.

Stu
Recon
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 648 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 02:51 PM UTC
There are shows in Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Dayton for sure. The AMPS Nationals will be in Auburn Indiana next April. Not sure of any others in your neighborhood. Check the IPMS website for the shows.
Mike
Finch
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 01:07 PM UTC
Samuel, first, if you're asking whether you have talent, the answer is undeniably yes. It is impossible to tell from a photo how well your models are made but there's no doubt you have that eye for artistist presentation, so you might do well.

Second, if you attend an AMPS show, whether regional or national, you will get written feedback from EVERY judge who handles your model. Normally, models are scored by a team of four judges, so that is four sets of feedback you'd get. This will happen regardless of whether your model gets an award or medal of any kind. In AMPS we judge every model and give feedback to every model. The feedback does not depend on the skill level or medal or anything like that. It is designed to help each modeler improve, regardless of his or her skill level.

Third, I invite you to join AMPS and attend our international show in Auburn, Indiana Apr 10-12, 2008. It is at the WW2 Victory Museum, which is a terrific location with about 150 real military vehicles, most restored to excellent condition. Three WW2 combat veterans (one each from the US, British and German Armies) will be giving seminars. Nick Cortese, the well-known "Modeling rock star" will be giving a scratchbuilding seminar. If you like, you can serve as a judge yourself, alongside more experienced judges who will show you what judges look for. This is widely recognized as the best way to improve.

If you have questions about AMPS feel free to contact me at: [email protected]

Danny Egan
President
AMPS
http://www.amps-armor.org
Removed by original poster on 09/06/07 - 11:38:24 (GMT).
DonFlynn
entire network: 38 Posts
KitMaker Network: 35 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 04:39 PM UTC
Cincinnati Scale Modelers Annual Contest and Swapmeet is on the 20th of October

http://www.cincyipms.com/contest.htm
 _GOTOTOP