Do you prefer Decals or Dry Transfers?
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 10:31 PM UTC
Well subject says it all.

After searching around again on my rug for an applied decal that I put my thumb on and disappeared after I turned Model around .

Never did not feel it come off.

Lucky I had not yet applied Micro Sol.

Second time ,last time was on the M1 and my decal was missing found it on the rug after searching but have been lucky both times so far.

So was wondering if you prefer Decals to Dry Transfers?

My opinion is Decals are good but transfers are a bit better in that at least they will be their if burnished down properly and not on the Rug after applying finger.

I do know that not all Transfers are made for all models.

The only two downsides I see are Transfers require exact placement and hard sometimes to cover over rivets and such when first applied.

CaptainA
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 3,117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 204 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 11:41 PM UTC
I really like dry transfers. I think they are much better than decals. It is too bad manufacturers don't pick up on this and supply them with kits. This would really be nice if you are putting them on NMF, no film. It does take a bit more work to get them positioned on the first try, but no film really makes up for that. They actually have a more paint like appearance, IMHO.

HawkeyeV
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 319 Posts
KitMaker Network: 184 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 02:48 AM UTC
Getting dry transfers to stick to a NMF especially a highly polished and shiny one is difficult. The key to getting good adhesion with any dry transfer is to ensure it is warm. Getting them up to body temp or slightly warm softens them up allowing them to get a better grip onto the surface. You have to work fast since they cool rapidly. I place them onto of the florescent fixture above my bench for a minute or two or hold them close to my chest for the same amount of time. I have them trimmed and ready to apply keeping the protective backing in place to keep them lint free.
footsie
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 305 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 10:13 AM UTC
i prefer water slide decals as you can move it around until you are happy with its position, then some micro sol and set makes it settle in just right. even on zimmerit. heres a quick question does anyone do worn faded or damaged decals/ transfers
vanhall
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
entire network: 406 Posts
KitMaker Network: 13 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 03, 2007 - 02:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

does anyone do worn faded or damaged decals/ transfers

I've never seen them for sale...Once the decals sealed I just dry-brush over them with the under colour for a faded effect.
 _GOTOTOP