_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
CO2 Setups for Airbrushing
LouN
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 31 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 12:24 PM UTC
All,

Could those of you using CO2 cylinders for airbrushing describe your setups and approximate price to get everything ready? I'm thinking about a 20lbs cylinder, and I'm assuming I would need a specific regulator, and something to secure the tank.

Would a moisture trap still be necessary, and I'm also wondering how long a tank of gas would last under regular hobby use?

Thanks,
Lou
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 10:40 PM UTC
I don't use that set up myself but here is a feature that has some basic information
AB Air sources
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 12:26 AM UTC
OK, As It's My Primary Source...... I Use a 20 cuft Cylinder ( about 2' tall) They can be leased or Bought for about $100.00. I use a Single stage regulator. A Dual stage would show you about how much gas is left in the bottle (A 20cuft is small enought that picking it up to see how much is in it is easy) Regulator can be up to about 120.00 new (I got mine Used) I just bungee mine to the Benck leg next to the spraybooth.

CO2 is anhydrous... meaning without moisture so no moisture trap needed.

I have yet to empty a bottle on just modeling. (before I got my small comopressor for pressure casting I was using CO2 for ir as well)
I'd venture a guess that you could easily do 15-20 average size models on a fill.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 02:08 AM UTC
I have the same set up , 20lb tank, dual stage regulator, tied to the table leg with rock climbing webbing.

They sell little carts to chain the tank to the wall, but I've had no problems with this setup.

No moinsture trap needed, CO2 is bone dry.

I did need one other bit, a brass fitting to connect from the regulator to the airbrush line. I got mine at a small local automotive repair suppliers (not a big chain Auto-mart kind of place.) I just brought in the regulator and the airbrush hose and said "I need something to connect these 2" , guy went in back , brought out big box, rooted through it until we came up with one. It was less than $5.

The dual stage regulator is redundant really.. the tank will spray with constant pressure until it is very very nearly empty.

If you go that route (dual stage) remember to always turn off the supply valve from the tank when you are done.

A friend let a 20lb NO2 tank run out by leaving the gas from the tank turned on , but thought that he was ok with only the valve to the hose turned off. It did not take too long for the regulator to leak all of his more expensive NO2.

I used my first tank for 3 years ( with that first summer being a paint everything in sight summer) painting probably 25+ models before I needed a refill this summer.

Refill is a bit of a misnomer, it's more like a propane tank trade in. As long as you do not mark up the tank as your personal porperty, you just trade it in for a new one. The benefit of that is the seller is responsible for all the testing/maintenance.

Have fun, CO2 is the way to go!

Mike
LouN
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 02:14 AM UTC
Thanks guys, that was the information I was looking for. I'll check with the local gas suppliers tommorow.

Regards,
Lou
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 02:49 AM UTC
Might be a bit late on this but also try Beer making sites as they use it in the making of Beer.

Also Pepsi use to rent the bottles out $25.00 until they stopped and local store would not refill anything marked Pepsi.

Another place is Fish tank web sites as I used mine to grow plants cause CO 2 is the plant food.

Never have used it for painting but have a half full bottle out in the shed left over from fish tanks,might have to bring that in maybe won't wake the family up when that Tradesman Compressor kicks in
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 05:13 AM UTC
I tried a local large corporate bottled gas supplier 2-3 times over the course of a couple of years and got less than no help any time I was there.. they were (or pretended to be) totally numb and were unwilling to help me figure out what I needed.

Then a friend turned me onto a smaller local welding supply company, that guy sets up homebrewers, t-shirt airbrush artists, and fish tank folks.
This guy was incredibly helpful and got me up and running, he even suggested the place to go for the one connection/fitting I needed.

So that's twice in the space of this transaction where dealing with the smaller local guy was better than the large chain.

If only my local hobby shop were like that...

Mike
LouN
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2007 - 04:03 PM UTC
All,

I called around today and received quotes of $122 to $182 for 20 lbs tanks w/o regulators. Refills run $18-$30. Seems like a pretty good deal for what you get.

I have a couple of more places to call and then I need to find a single stage regulator.

Lou
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2007 - 11:22 PM UTC
Try Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Co2-Regulator-Tank-Keg-Beer-Taps-Kegerator_W0QQitemZ130143500025QQihZ003QQcategoryZ1267QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" TARGET="_blank">
http://cgi.ebay.com/Co2-Regulator-Tank-Keg-Beer-Taps-Kegerator_W0QQitemZ130143500025QQihZ003QQcategoryZ1267QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/20-lb-Co2-Tank-Keg-Beer-Tap-Kegerator-Taps_W0QQitemZ130143990129QQihZ003QQcategoryZ1267QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
LouN
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 10:24 AM UTC
All,

Just an update - I took Jeff's advice and checked the Yellow Pages for beer making supplies. Found a place called the Brew Hut that had used 20lbs tanks for $100 and new two stage regulators for $55. Thank you all for the advice - I'm off to paint!

Lou
 _GOTOTOP