_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Are we Athletes?
CaptainA
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 3,117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 204 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 06:30 AM UTC
Think about all we have in common with athletes.
1. What we do take a lot of hand & eye coordination.
2. We parctice almost every day. Sometimes for many hours.
3. We suffer serious injuries. (There was a blog on modeling injuries a few months ago) Some of those injuries threaten our builing careers.
4. It is a skill that many can never master.
5. We invest a lot of money in our tools of the trade, much like purchasing golf clubs, or other sports equipment.
6. We compete for awards and medals. If we are lucky we might even win a trophy.
7. Like distance runners, we often encounter "the wall" on a long complicated build. Then overcome it through sheer persaverance and intestinal fortitude.
8. We study ways to do it better.
9. We often eploy coaches to help us through difficult builds.

I think we can actually call ourselves athletic modelers. I don't think our sport will ever be in the olympics though.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 09:24 AM UTC
No, we are not atheletes. Not even close. Artists, perhaps, but not athletes. In my younger days, I ran five marathons, the 26.2 milers, and many shorter races. I got to know a lot of athletes. What we do is not even related to athletics.
kiwibelg
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
entire network: 939 Posts
KitMaker Network: 202 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 09:50 AM UTC
Hi Carl,
I never looked at it in that sense!Unlike athletes though we do get to do "it" the night before a competition though
Cheers,
Shay
scj1014
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 56 Posts
KitMaker Network: 18 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 12:40 PM UTC
No...we are not athletes.
Although, once upon a time, I played sports. I can assure you that the building of models does not get the competitive juices flowing the way sports do.

We may be considered "artists" by some...but I consider myself to be merely a hobbyist. I build for fun and relaxation...not for anybody's approval, which may explain why I have so little interest in entering my models in competition. Or in judging other's work, for that matter.
jimb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 2,539 Posts
KitMaker Network: 263 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 02:05 PM UTC
Sorry, but I've got to agree with everyone else on this one. A modelers we are about as far from being an athelete as one can get. I've know some international level atheletes in competitive shooting & ballroom dancing. Believe me, we are not atheletes by any stretch of the immagination.

Now and artist, well maybe some of you guys, but not me! It is an artistic outlet, so that's a good thing. My wife still says that I'm playing with my toys, though!

Jim
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 11:34 AM UTC
The only thing athletic about me, is the work out surfing the web, shopping, and the occasional walk from truck to hobby shop. OH and shaking a bottle of paint. No sorry, I really don't feel like Mickey Mantle building models, more like Grumpy or Goofy some days.
wibbler
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 15 Posts
KitMaker Network: 10 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 01:57 AM UTC
spoilsports .
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 1,966 Posts
KitMaker Network: 297 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 04:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

No, we are not atheletes. Not even close. Artists, perhaps, but not athletes. In my younger days, I ran five marathons, the 26.2 milers, and many shorter races. I got to know a lot of athletes. What we do is not even related to athletics.

I agree 100% with what Al said. I'm a Phys Ed teacher, and played several sports in my younger years, and still dabble a little these days (not counting getting out and playing with my students). A modeler is much more closely tied to an artist, there's nothing athletic about it at all.

Mike
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 04:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think we can actually call ourselves athletic modelers.

`Course we can .... and donīt let anybody tell you different!
Havenīt you seen the line up of personality images often shown after Amps, IPMS, Euromilitaires, etc. or the self images shown here on Armorama?
Bronzed Godlike Adonis, every one of them
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 04:57 AM UTC
I agree with Al. I wrestled starting in the 5th grade, through high school, a college scholarship and into my first year in the Army, not even close. What we do is a hobby for most, a profession for others. We are no more athletes than chefs are.
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 4,002 Posts
KitMaker Network: 648 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 10:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Havenīt you seen the line up of personality images often shown after Amps, IPMS, Euromilitaires, etc. or the self images shown here on Armorama?
Bronzed Godlike Adonis, every one of them

This thread could have gone a couple of ways Frank, depending on whether we thought Carl was taking the piss or not... I choose the former, and think he has done a good job in boosting my 'confidence'
 _GOTOTOP