_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Join the club!
Beaver22
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 263 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 08:04 PM UTC
Hi there

Where I live puts me within distance of a couple of model clubs that are in the area. Closest are IPMS Mercia and IPMS Coventry & Warwickshire.

I am about this close to taking the plunge and going to one of the meets, but am not really sure what to expect. Armorama is a fantastic club in its own right, but it's nice to meet people face to face.

What sort of things usually happen at one of these meetings. I have had mixed feelings about clubs in the past, mainly built from attending events which are run by these clubs. They shall remain nameless, but one club I saw in action appeared a little regimental and strict, whilst the another seemed very laid back and friendly.

I guess what I am wanting to find out is your personal opinions on clubs. Have you had a good experience or a bad one. Can I take stuff to build, or do you mainly just talk about projects.

Any information would be much appreciated.

Stuart
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 01:03 AM UTC
It will really depend on the dynamics and demeanor of the members.
Here's how I run my meetings.
We officially start at 7:00 pm, but for the first half hour or so, it's socializing. About 7:30, I call the guys to order. I bring up any business that needs to be done, contest preparation or post mortem, expenditure of funds, etc. This takes 5-10 minutes, except for the contest post mortem in which we discuss what we did well and what needs refining. I'll relay any other news I have then ask for news from the group and reports on any shows people have attended. If there's a speaker, he/she will be up next. After that. people get to talk about what they brought to sahre with the group. This has led to reviews of the models displayed, discussions about pricing, scale, accuracy and a myriad of other topics. After this, we break out into socialization again until people drift off, typically between 9:30 and 10:00. There have been post meeting snacks at a local fast food restaurant, as well.
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,123 Posts
KitMaker Network: 330 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 06:14 AM UTC
Peel Scale Modelers in Brampton, ON runs in much the same way. Congregate about 7:30, plonk the models we are working on on the tables, natter for a while, 1/2 hour of business/announcements, 1/2 hour -1 hour speaker (if arranged) more nattering (whether about our models or life in general) until we break up at 10 ish. Our club doesn't build at the meetings. We have a swap meet, a Christmas "Secret Santa" and club contest once per year plus a BBQ at someone's house in the summer. We have beer & pizza each meeting & gather once per month.

Other clubs I know of are more regimented and others are less so. Some are strictly get-together-and-build groups. No-one else I know around the Toronto area has beer & pizza! :-)

If you are in an area that has several clubs you can attend, I'd go to all of them and see if any "click" with you right off. Like any friend, a club has to suit you and your needs and they're all different.

As to belonging to clubs, I think it is a great boon. I have learned so much from the guys in my club over the years that I know I am a much better modeller because of it.

Paul
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 08:43 AM UTC
My IPMS club seems to work the same way.

We gather on the first Friday of every month at about 19.30 at (currently) the local airforce museum. Folks plonk down completed or WIP models - mostly aircraft in my club - and stand around chatting, trading or buying till about 20.15-20.30. Colddrinks and beers are on sale for very cheap. Once the meetings get going we do a bit of club business - as usual there are those that ALWAYS feel they must have their 2 cents worth. Then we may have a modelling techniques presentation, but normally just some talk about planes. If there is time - and this is something that I generally find sad - only then will we discuss the MODELS folks have brought in. I find it sad because we're really there to discuss modelling, and not, IMO air shows or the failure of the government's latest arms deal. I normally drift off about 22.00.

Now, from my above comments, you may think that I don't like my club. Quite the contrary. I am a firm believer in human interaction with people with a similar interest as you.

That is why I have supplimented my modelling therapy with a dose of a fortnightly modelling get-together with a couple of mates. We are actually all members of the IPMS club, so it's certainly not a 'counter club'. We meet at the one guy's apartment which is central to all of us anytime from 19.00 and we model and talk sh*t until late (normally about 23.00 in my case, but the wee hours of the morning for the other lads).

So what am I saying? Regardless of whether you join a club or not, just try to have interaction with other modellers in your area. You'll be amazed how much fun it is.

Rudi
 _GOTOTOP