_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Advice with the Chinese Type 99 MBT
arkuo14
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 215 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2007 - 05:14 PM UTC
good day all!

im planning a project that would tackle building/upgrading a trumpeter type 98 MBT kit to the most modern type 99 MBT.. pictures suggest that the difference between the two tanks are the added tile armor on the outside and a little technical stuff inside (which wouldnt be seen on the model anyway)

here are some pics to help me explain my inquiry..

the picture above shows the add-on armor that the type 99 has packed.. check out the red highlighted parts.. those are the ones missing from the type 98 model..

the second pic is the best closeup shot i could find.. it suggests that the add-on armor on the turret sides are just "put over" the turret basket of the type 98.. check out red highlighted parts..

the 3rd pic shows a cut out of the actual add-on armor that was just put on top of the existing type 98 turret.. giving the type 99 a more wedged-shaped turret..

and finally, the pic above is of the type 98 model for comparison.. the type 99 is basically an up-armored type 98 with some new tech stuff on hand.. the type 99 seems more wider and more aerodynamic in shape because of the wedged-shape add-on armor on the turret and the tile-shaped armor on the front hull..

so my question is, does anyone here has any ideas on how i should scratchbuild the add-on armors? what material and method would you advice me to use?

any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

PS- if anybody has knowledge regarding modern chinese armor (especially if someone could shed light if the type 99 still carries the 2 fuel barrels at the rear just like its predecessors , would also be greatly appreciated)

cheers!
RichardM
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 383 Posts
KitMaker Network: 27 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 04:49 AM UTC
I would use sheet styrene to buld the armor addon blocks. The turret sides and hull shouldn't be too difficult as the blocks are square. The wedge one on the turret front would need a little more work but nothing impossible.

As for the Fuel drums on the back, here's a few pictures to show that they are there on the Type99

arkuo14
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 215 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 05:39 PM UTC
yeah.. i also thought about using styrene sheets but im just not sure what to put behind it to "reinforce" it.. especially with the wedge shaped turret armor.. it aint impossible, but it would present a challenge, considering each side are of different shapes..

i'll try to post pics when i get started on it..

thanks for the pics richard! guess it carries the fuel barrels after all..
 _GOTOTOP