_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: KitMaker USA
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Angolan/Cuban armor
steelrudi
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 243 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2007 - 09:13 AM UTC
Alright gents, I have been looking the Net over, and come up with many reference photo's, but can't really make out the color of the T-54/55's in use by these factions during the bushwar. Is it standard Russian green, or did they use someother color on their vehicles? Could you give me a hand here? I have a T-54 and T-55 both in 1/35 scale, and want to build them as knocked out tanks with SADF troopies looking at them. Cheers
Graugrun
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
entire network: 125 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 07:07 PM UTC
Ray, you may want to pop over to the South African community on this site, there could be some guys who fought there (Angola) on the site.

I climed over a couple of captured tanks in South West Africa (Now Namibia) as a soldier serving up there. They were all painted in the usual Russian dark green. There were one or two other hasty camo schemes, however in the whole it seems that most of the vehicles were left in the Russian green that they arrived Angola in.

Cheers,
Matthew
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 08:38 PM UTC
What I've heard is pretty much what Matthew said. All in std issue Soviet green. Never camoflaged (it would require money to repaint tanks). And no 2 ever looked alike thanks to fading in the harsh African sun.

HTH

Rudi
steelrudi
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 243 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2007 - 03:37 PM UTC
Does anyone out there, have any pictures of these wrecked beasts? I have a t-54 and a T-55, that I want to build. One knocked out, the other as captured. I am also building A Rhodesian T-55LD.
 _GOTOTOP