_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
GTJD: Entry #1, Toyota MR2
TwistedFate
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 805 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2007 - 02:18 PM UTC
I was going to save this one for #2, but it's been on my workbench longer and it's a curbside kit which means a faster build. So I'm going to bump it up to #1.

I originally bought this kit in 2002 with the intention of building it to match my 1992 MR2 N/A. I got as far as removing the fog lamps and rebuilding the grill to match the N/A front end before my 1:1 MR2 got wrecked. I just didn't have the heart to work on it anymore. Now it's 2007 and I have purchased another MR2. This time it's a 1991 Turbo, complete with the foglamps that I already removed from this kit. grrrrrr I decided to haul this one out and finish it up as close to my first MR2 as I can without doing a whole lot of extra work. The spoiler will be wrong and the rims will be wrong, but after 5 years on the shelf I'm just ready to have it finished. This campaign seemed like the perfect time.

This is a shot before the body goes to be painted. The problem here will be the spoiler, it's kind of large and will block the paint if I attach it first and make it difficult to paint the underside of the spoiler, but the attach point will be very hard to scrape clean once the body is painted. So I will paint the underside of the spoiler first, then attach the spoiler. I'll then use an airbrush to put a fine layer of paint on the trunk lid under the spoiler. The car is being painted white so I'm really just trying to get rid of the plastic look before I color coat and clear coat.
 _GOTOTOP