_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
My Get the Job Done Entry #1
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 11:58 AM UTC
Here are a few shots of a model I totally forgot about. I got it about 5 or 6 years ago and got totally discouraged when I cleaned the wheel parts up and the fit was really tough to get down.
So as I was pulling supplies out for the project I THOUGHT I was going to do I ran into this and it trumped the other one into 1st place.

So, the wheel were fun, no pattern, no guides, nothin' . When your 8th grade geometry teacher tells you to pay attention and you pull out the infamous comeback "Why??? I'll never use this stuff!!!" Think again, sit down and pay attention.
I broke down the rim into 14 parts and created a paper pattern. From that I created a fit guide out of bits of styrene (see the red shaded thing).
Then I created a styrofoam hub holder to give the spokes support as the glue dried.
I've got some putty work to do and I have to scratch build two new barrel bracket braces. Shouldn't be more than an hour or so till assembly is done. then finish time.
Anyway enough talk.

Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 12:45 PM UTC
Nice job on the wheels Scott.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 01:38 PM UTC
So I guess you are saying that the wheels were a bit of a Problem.

Guess what Scott I was one of those folks staring out the window in the back row of Ms.Berning's Algebra Class.

Saying boy can't wait to cut out of here and hit the Beach.

Nice job so far on the beast will look nice.
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 01:42 PM UTC
Thanks Dave
Jeff - Beach in Oklahoma? Ok, I guess there are beaches on lakes (a'la my home town in the Finger Lakes in NY). I can tell I'm becoming a tar heel because when I hear beach I think Outter banks.

So how Do you sub-divide a circle into 14 equal parts? The drawing is my 5th attempt. I tried equally dividing the circumference, then I tried to equally divide the degrees in a circle. It was a joy
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 01:53 PM UTC
Well, Scott... I'm not all that far from the finger lakes...LOL I'd probably have done a quick "sketch" in UG... printed it....... abd left the compass to collect even more dust...LOL
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
entire network: 2,365 Posts
KitMaker Network: 474 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 04:25 PM UTC
You actually have to assemble the wheel?? Why couldn't they mold it in one piece? Or, at least put some locating pins in the inside of the rim...

I don't envy you. My biggest problem with resin now is only bubbles.
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 09:59 PM UTC
Yup - you have to build the wheels. One resin rim, 14 spokes, inside hub and outside hub, and a styrene outter 'tire'. No guides, no locators nothin.....

The resin in this is good, not to many holes.

Matt, I grew up in Trumansburg out side of Ithaca. My CAD skills aren't all that good so I stuck with paper
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 11:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Dave
Jeff - Beach in Oklahoma? Ok, I guess there are beaches on lakes (a'la my home town in the Finger Lakes in NY). I can tell I'm becoming a tar heel because when I hear beach I think Outter banks.

So how Do you sub-divide a circle into 14 equal parts? The drawing is my 5th attempt. I tried equally dividing the circumference, then I tried to equally divide the degrees in a circle. It was a joy

Sorry Scott forgot to put the part in where I lived Massassapequa Long Island.

Right across the Great South Bay and Jones Beach .75 a car to get in or take friends boat and sneak in to Gilgo.

But should add that OK does have beaches at the Rivers and a lot easier to drown,except for the Ocean's Under-tow
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 08:56 AM UTC
Here is what I did last night -

I added the rim to each wheel- tons of putty work and the barrel brackettes were broken on the original kit so I scratch built my own. I researched a bunch of different styles and liked this type the best.
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 11:17 PM UTC
Here's an update

Here is the main core construction prior to paint

Here is a hybred shot - some base coat of buff and black. Buff is becoming the wood, black will become metal.
I used Tamiya buff and PS engine black.
I'm using an oil overcoat that sits for about 10 minutes then us buffed to a realistic finish.
My plan is to drybrush various shades of gun metal and aluminum for the metal pieces.
fanai
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 2,654 Posts
KitMaker Network: 292 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 11:29 PM UTC
Scot love what you are doing -I have several Wagon kits that are wait for the same attention -Thanks for the inspiration
Ian
 _GOTOTOP