_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
modeling/painting in the great outdoors
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 1,225 Posts
KitMaker Network: 463 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 01:45 AM UTC
I am a full time RV'er-snowbird and have a very limited amount of work space. I would normally work at the kitchen table, were with in a 10Ft. radious I can get everything at ease. My girlfriend/wife does not like me to work on my models and or paint inside the RV. She says that it makes to much of a mess and also she feels that it also the chemicals/paint might make her sick. So the queen/girlfriend tells me that if I want to continue doing my models I will have to do them outside in the screen porch! My problem,my fellow modelers is this, now I am having to use a orange extention cord and going in and out of the RV getting your supplies just to get ready to work, you are now basically ready to work out in the elements of nature which causes havic on paint jobs in terms of bugs flying onto wet paint even though you cover your work. The humidity and heat, and on a rainy day the mist comes in through the screens themselves. What a pain in the ass! Modeling is suppose to be relaxing from start to finish not be stressful right from the start.
I would like to know how to rectify this problem? I have always been able to have a space were I can work without any interuptions when we did have a home, but now living in the RV it makes it very difficult and uncomfortable to work outside in the elements. So I would like to hear your comments and or questions about this delemma I have.
Thank you.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 01:51 AM UTC
I learned to deal with it..... I grew Up camping (in a Trailer) on Weekends during the summer....... I always used the picnic table under the awning...
I had a 3 drawer craftsman toolbox with all my supplies in it..... I used Soda can trays to store stuff in.
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 1,225 Posts
KitMaker Network: 463 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 01:53 AM UTC
yes but, what about the dust while you work?
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 03:31 AM UTC
that was only a Issue at paint time....... I'd shelter myself as much as possible...... then cover the work with a box or rubbermaid tub of some kind with a piece of Firewood or a rock on it.........
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 01:54 PM UTC
If you are going to stay out side I would invest in a nice sized tupperware box. Use it to store stuff when not working, then use it to cover a drying model from bugs etc.
As for mist and breezes, can you attach something like a bed sheet to the top of the screen section. Doesn't have to be permanent, use a few spring loaded clamps to hold the sheet up. Use two or more to get more coverage.

Another thing I'll do is phase my building, I'll get a number of kits assembled (sub-assemblies) with no painting or harsh chemicals. Then hash out a long paint session and get them base coated and 1st coat. That way you can stay inside while working with snips and assembly and then have one or two days outside.
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
entire network: 2,365 Posts
KitMaker Network: 474 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 04:29 PM UTC
The big plastic boxes are the way to go And use acrylics -they dry faster. I used to spray on the patio -now I can't do that, because the new place is in full view, and I'm kind of shy sitting outside in a mask with a #@$@ loud compressor in front of everybody. But I always used a huge box to paint in, and some smaller ones to keep the models in.
And painted only once a week.
I guess gluing would be fine inside, right?
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 08:56 AM UTC
Jody,
I camp a lot but only bring tracks or PE to make. If I were in your situation, I would build a few kits, then paint them all at once. I would go to Wal-Mart and buy a 4'x6' pop-up tent and paint in there (WITH a mask and goggles!).
It sets up and tears down in about 5 minutes, no big hassle.
For building on the go, at Staples I found a Rubbermaid "portable office" which is a compartmented case that fits my needs nicely.
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
entire network: 4,011 Posts
KitMaker Network: 879 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 12:22 PM UTC
Put all your sub assemblies, paint, power cord, and airbrush into a large backpak or pack.
Walk into the camp or rest stop bathroom and set up in the farthest stall which is usually next to the couple only windows.

_GOTOTOP