_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Future Floor and Enamel paint
psycho_killer
entire network: 10 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 06, 2007 - 04:23 AM UTC
Hi, i heard that FFA can easely rub off if you dip it with rubbing alcohol or isopropil alcohol thats why FFA is is used for coating, my question is this,
say, of i coat the parts with FFA and i painted it with enamel paint, will the paint be easy to rubb of because the FFA coating underneath it?
And does anybody can tell me the best way to clean enamel paint without sanding?

Thanks anyway.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 06, 2007 - 09:21 AM UTC
1) No, the enamel paint over Future will NOT be easy to get off, because you are putting alcohol on the enamel, which does nothing. The alcohol isn't touching the Future.
2) Best method for removing enamel from a model is Easy-Off oven cleaner.
psycho_killer
Posted: Monday, August 06, 2007 - 07:52 PM UTC
i see, so where can i find this easy-off over cleaner? I think my local hardware store doesn't have it.
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 2,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 424 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 06, 2007 - 09:28 PM UTC
Oven cleaning products should be available in just about any grocery store.
psycho_killer
Posted: Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 01:33 AM UTC
Thanks for your help
Juggler
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 104 Posts
KitMaker Network: 17 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 10:13 AM UTC
Don't leave the oven cleaner on clear parts more than a few hours before ya check it. I left two canopies to be stripped of future & paint over night and it ate up one of them pretty good. It started etching into it leaving it unusable except as something to practice my masking technique on. Lesson learned, the hard way.

Juggler
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 07:54 AM UTC
And best way to remove Future or acrylic paint - immerse it in Windex overnight.
psycho_killer
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 02:05 PM UTC
i see, thanks for the warning on clear parts, do over cleaner damage other than clear parts if you leave it too long say over night or 18-24 hours?
A friend of mine said that cleaning acrylic paint with detegent is also efective and safe( i never try it with clear parts though)
If i'm not mistaken easy of is an oven cleaner and it's a spray can, how do you use them to clean the enamel paint?
Thanks alot for the tips guys.
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2007 - 01:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

do over cleaner damage other than clear parts if you leave it too long say over night or 18-24 hours?

I've never had a problem with it hurting the parts, but I would rinse them as soon as you see the paint start to lift.

Quoted Text

If i'm not mistaken easy of is an oven cleaner and it's a spray can, how do you use them to clean the enamel paint?

I use a one gallon zip-lock baggy and place the parts or whole model inside, spray on the EZ-Off, zip it closed and let it sit for a few minutes. Once I see the paint starting to lift, I open the bag, run some warm soapy water, and start rinsing. For areas where the paint is a little more stubborn, Ihave an old tooth brush handy to scrub those areas. Be wary of the fumes EZ-Off emits. They can really hurt your eyes and lungs. Have plenty of ventilation. "Q"
psycho_killer
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2007 - 01:32 PM UTC
i see, i'm just a little confused and i thought i bought the wrong product. Thank you all, it's a helpfull forums
psycho_killer
Posted: Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 09:33 PM UTC
ummm, why it isn't working? Maybe because i'm using mr hobby thinner instead tamiya enamel thinner?? Although i scrub the parts using toothbrush it still hard to clean the paint. I even dip it nearly 2 days in a sealed plastic bag.
Have any body heard about simple green? some website say it's quite good for cleaning enamel paint, is it true?
Thanks
markm
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 02:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

ummm, why it isn't working? Maybe because i'm using mr hobby thinner instead tamiya enamel thinner?? Although i scrub the parts using toothbrush it still hard to clean the paint. I even dip it nearly 2 days in a sealed plastic bag.
Have any body heard about simple green? some website say it's quite good for cleaning enamel paint, is it true?
Thanks

I have used simple green as an enamel paint remover after hearing about it on these same forums a couple of years ago. The simple green also works very well on clear parts and will not damage them. You may have to leave whatever parts you are trying to remove the paint from in it quite awhile though. It does not damage anything and as far as I know it is non toxic with no bad fumes either.
psycho_killer
Posted: Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 05:51 AM UTC
i see, is it worked like windex if you want to clean acrylic paint? Just dip the parts and left it 2-3 days? and abracadara, it's clean again?
Oh and if i'm not mistaken it says 'concentrated? Do you mix with water or anything else?
Thankyou.
 _GOTOTOP