TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Flight sims for Natter?
MCR
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 464 Posts
KitMaker Network: 54 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 12:01 AM UTC
Hey all,
I've found myself addicted to "IL-2"; itís a heck of a lot of fun. I'm wondering if there are any flight sims that allow you to fly aircraft like the Natter, F.103 Reichenberg, and Ohka? (Sure the missions would be short with virtually no chance of surviving let alone getting back to an airfield but the idea of trying these guys out appeals to me for some reason )

Thanks!

Mark
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
entire network: 2,365 Posts
KitMaker Network: 474 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 12, 2007 - 04:06 PM UTC
The new IL-2 (1946) has a bunch of experimental aircraft. I'm not sure the Natter is there, but there are some real strange aircraft.
By the way, don't you guys want to set up an online team to fly online? (With icons enabled, preferably. I have no idea how others can ID planes from the distance.)
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 12, 2007 - 04:41 PM UTC
You should have bought the IL-2 1946 instead. This one contains all the necessary updates and aircrafts including some "what-if" birds.
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
entire network: 2,365 Posts
KitMaker Network: 474 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 12, 2007 - 05:55 PM UTC
Yes. This is what I just said a message before
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 02:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes. This is what I just said a message before

Whoops! My mistake. Sorry if I hadn't browse the replies.

Anyways, the idea for an online play had been done before here in this site and it was pretty successful. I'm in if time permits. I only had the 3 in 1 IL-2 series (IL-2, Forgotten Battles, Pacific). Hope it'll work with yours.
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 2,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 424 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 03:56 AM UTC
Unfortunately, different versions of the game are incompatible in multiplayer.

If there's another go at online flying coming, I'd be interested as well. Last time it was great fun.
I'm now currently flying with 1946 version, atlhough I haven't played online since the last aeroscale sessions.
I got the FB+AE+PF combo as well, but I think this single-DVD pack is superior as it's so convenient. Single disc, zero updating, straight to version 4.07m with all the bells and whistles. The 4.08 update is out but I have yet to download it.

If there's any downsides on the whole smash, it has to be the system requirements given in the box, the same as on PF.
When I bough 1946 early this year, this rig I'm using only had 512mb of RAM, on which the game ran, but just barely.
I kept flying with FB+AE+PF until a friend of mine bought a new PC and I bought the RAM off his old machine. Now with 1280mb, the game runs fine.

If there will be online play, I got one request. Make it full realism + icons enabled (at one kilometer was a good setting), please.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 09:08 PM UTC
Eetu, aside from the new crafts and maps on the 1946 version, are there other significant changes (graphic wise) between this and the FB+AE+PF version? I'm contemplating to buy one.
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 2,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 424 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 02:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Eetu, aside from the new crafts and maps on the 1946 version, are there other significant changes (graphic wise) between this and the FB+AE+PF version? I'm contemplating to buy one.

To my knowledge, no.
Of course, I may me wrong because I can't run the game smoothly with full details on this machine. With the settings I play with, it looks the same. (was the "perfect" graphing setting introduced some time after PF?)
I'd say grab it. It has those loads of new stuff (those X4 air-to-air wire-guided missiles are fun! ), plus the conveniece of being on a single DVD.
Just keep in mind the increased RAM requirement not mentioned on the package.