_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Etched brass
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,495 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 08:56 AM UTC
Hi, I have an etched brass detail set for an aircraft kit. It is a few years since I tried one and wasn't very successful so just wondered, when bending the parts where the indented line is, should the indent be on the inside of the bend or outside? Probably a stupid question but I don't want to make a hash of it and be put off using it as they look so impressive when used on kits. Hope someone puts me right on this and I would be greatful for any other tips you may have for using etched brass. Thanks in advance guys
Oberst
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 851 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 09:02 AM UTC
This is a common question with beginner PE people. The PE should be bent inward on the bend line. This is so the bend line is not visible from the outer surface...
Good luck,
Andrew

scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 09:03 AM UTC
I'm not a big fan of PE, I prefer to scratchbuild the parts I need, but to date all of the PE sets I used were with the bending line inside, but I cannot exclude that some can be just the opposite.
Ciao
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 09:11 AM UTC
Oberst is right on - crease goes inside so its a smooth outside bend.
The 'lack of material' in the crease allows a tight clean fold. If there wasn't a crease it would be hard to get good angles.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 10:29 AM UTC
you've got to look at each part separately and figure where it fits in. Rule of thumb though is to bend inward hiding the seam
Rico
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 66 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2003 - 03:30 AM UTC
I usually look at how the finished part is supposed to look, making sure that if I bent this a certain way, the rest of the bends can all be made in their proper direction, etc. I don't trust the PE manufacturers to always be consistent about it - but then again I don't trust anybody #:-)
 _GOTOTOP