Shows and events in North America.
Is AMPS a ripoff??
pzkfwmk6
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 456 Posts
KitMaker Network: 231 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2007 - 12:27 PM UTC
Well, here's my question. I joined amps at the show in Maryland this year when I entered my models. I have yet to get any notification of my member status or the boresite issues. I have repeatedly tried to contact the membership section and constantly get a message that there was a "problem" sending my e-mail. I was wondering, has anyone else had this problem? If so, what responses or lack thereof, have you received.

Pissed in PA
cliftonra
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 7 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2007 - 02:00 PM UTC
AMPS is certainly not a rip off, it is actually a victim of its own success! I don't know your name so I cannot verify your membership status, but it appears that you joined at the show this past April so i'll assume that all is well in that regard.
The real issue here is that the Stryker Special issue (the May/June issue) had already been mailed when you joined so that the present members could get it as soon as possible. This meant that when you joined, the next issue wasn't actually due out for some time. I have that next issue (July/August) all packed and expect to ship it in the next 3-4 days.
Unfortunately, AMPS is still working on getting a better notification system in place, though something should be available soon. Paypal who pay via Paypal are notified both by Paypal and by email from the website. People who pay via regular mail and at the show do not yet have a system like that in place but it is being worked on!
As I said, the next issue of Boresight will ship shortly. Please contact me offline to insure that we have all of your information and I can also add your email address to help us next time. Also, I'd appreciate it you could also let us know exactly which button you are hitting to send us a message that no one is obviously getting.
Bob Clifton
[email protected] (remove TAKEMEOUT before sending)
Finch
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2007 - 02:41 PM UTC
"Pissed in PA", you or anyone else who has a problem with AMPS can contact me anytime. I respond to EVERY email I get. No exceptions.

I'll be on vacation with no computer beginning sunday morning. If you contact me before then you'll get an answer before I leave. Otherwise it will take a week or so.

Danny Egan
[email protected]
President
AMPS
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 12:56 AM UTC
I don't think so.
I've always received an answer to any question I have ever asked from every member of the E-Board, past and present.
I've found them to all be rather nice and friendly and helpful folks.
One even going out of his way to break out old molds and cast up a few conversion parts for me.
The website is being revamped, and up dated.
The Boresight arrives on time.
And they have good shows.
Not a bad deal for a few bucks a year.

Finch
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 01:17 AM UTC
Ed Spaide, right?

Ed, your AMPS membership is paid up through next April of '08. At the time you signed up, we had *just* shipped the Boresight Stryker special, a 40-page full color issue. The next issue is ready to ship and should be to you soon. You haven't missed anything, you just happened to join just after an issue shipped.

To answer your question - is AMPS a ripoff?

Last night three AMPS members saw your post and alerted each other, taking time away from whatever else they might have been doing to see what we could do to help. We took the time to figure out your real name (it is not in your original post here) and look it up. Another AMPS member send me an email from the system on our web site to test that - it is working correctly.

You got all this attention because these guys care about AMPS and wanted to make sure you were being treated fairly, even though none of us knew who you were.

Your AMPS membership also brings you discounts from over a dozen vendors, discounted admission to AMPS shows, and Boresight.

Did you know that at the next AMPS national show, three WW2 tank crew veterans will be speaking? That was arranged by an AMPS volunteer.

Did you know that AMPS is organizing a kit-and-tools donation for US troops in Iraq, and has so far donated hundreds of kits? That was organized by an AMPS volunteer.

Did you know that AMPS is reviewing dozens of kits and books on our website? All done by volunteers.

I guess I don't see where the ripoff is. I think AMPS is a good value and it is getting better every month.

If you ever think there is any problem, however small, with your membership, you can email me or another officer. As I said I respond to every single email I get promptly. I do ask that you use your real name if you choose to post about a perceived problem instead. That little bit of courtesy would have saved us all a lot of work.

I look forward to seeing you at some of our shows.

Danny Egan
President
AMPS
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 03:50 AM UTC
Welcome to AMPS - always nice to greet a new member!
pzkfwmk6
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 456 Posts
KitMaker Network: 231 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 10:00 AM UTC
Thank you very much for the quick responses. I was getting frustrated at not being able to contact through the website channels. I look forward to seeing the boresite issues.
Tigerbait
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 347 Posts
KitMaker Network: 17 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 11:33 AM UTC
AMPS IMO is one of the better organizations to belong to. I am a member of both AMPS and IPMS. Both strive to bring all the info and help possible to we lowly modelers. I feel your pain on the contact part though. I went through the same back when I joined but patience was the key and all my questions (however lame they may have been) were answered . AMPS is a great bunch of guys... just need a meeting closer to me ...
 _GOTOTOP