_GOTOBOTTOM
Photography
Questions about shooting your models and dioramas? Ask here.
Night Photography How To?
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 08:11 AM UTC
How would I go about taking a picture of my Lancaster, at night from underneath with an orange glow on the underside from a light.

I want to get the effect that it is flying over a burning city at night, but I don't want the flash to ruin the whole picture. Is there any way that this could work without te flash ruinning the whole picture?

Thanks!

~Chip
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 08:18 AM UTC
I don't know specifics but here's what I would start researching
A tripod,
A light meter,
A really slowwww shutter speed setting,
A camera that can turn off the flash and set the Fstop and apiture.
An orange lightbulp or a piece of orange tissue paper over a work light.

I would look at setting up the scene with the tripod/camera low shooting up. Hang the Lancaster for the celing or something. Put the orange lights or lights down next to the camera facing up. Turn out the other lights and take a light meter reading and that should give the settings.
Without the hardware this is going to be a pretty tough shot to 'fake' or 'wing'

Or go digital. Use photo shop to enhance a photo.
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 08:48 AM UTC
Chip,
Slodder suggestion are absolutely perfect. Just one raccomandation: if you go digital (I mean with a digital camera) mind the white ballance...
Ciao
panzer_fan
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 427 Posts
KitMaker Network: 66 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 09:16 AM UTC
Slodder and Scoccia are right. You will have to get a tripod from a friend (if you don't have one already). From here you have two choices:
1. Shooting digital, which will give you the ability to have your pictures right away. Now you'll have to adjust the white balance for tungsten. Play with the white balance in the setup that you inttend to use and see the results. The one that looks more realistic, is the one to use (I do not know which digital camera you have). Also, set the camera to take night pictures - this way you'll get a very slow exposure time. Do not turn on the flash!! If the camera that you have can be set to manual mode, then use the largest aperture possible (f22 - if the camera is capable of it) and a long exposure time (3-4 seconds).
2. Shoot film. You'll have to use the same setup, except here's no white balance involved. I suggest using a 100 ASA speed for this. The reason I am reccomending 100 film and not a faster one is because with 400 speed or even faster, your pictures will look grainy. On the other hand my advice is to never use 200 speed film in any photographic situation.
Then scan the pictures with a good scanner.
I am not a professional photographer, but I tried to help you with what I know. Good luck and keep us posted. I am anxious to see the results.
Kind regards,

Panzer_fan
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 04:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

the largest aperture possible (f22 - if the camera is capable of it) and a long exposure time (3-4 seconds).

f:22 is a small aperture. In apertures, you have to think the reverse of the intuitive. The higher the number, the smaller the opening to let light reach the film and the longer the required exposure.
panzer_fan
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 427 Posts
KitMaker Network: 66 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 02:38 AM UTC
Ooops! Sorry, I meant f2.8 or so. You're right. Don't know how could I do such a stupid mistake. I'll be more careful next time. The smaller the number, the larger opening you have, therefore more light is allowed to onto the film.
Kind regards,

Sebastian
 _GOTOTOP