_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: The Union Jack Club
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Any modellers or model shops in Leicester
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,556 Posts
KitMaker Network: 292 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 09:20 PM UTC
Im moving to Leicester in a monthes time for uni, but I dont really want to give up modelling. Any armor modellers live in the area? Also are there any decent model shops around there?
mark197205
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,593 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2007 - 02:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Im moving to Leicester in a monthes time for uni, but I dont really want to give up modelling. Any armor modellers live in the area? Also are there any decent model shops around there?

Hey Rob,
I'm just outside the city of Leicester, there is only one decent shop in the city, its called "Dominoes" they are an arts, toys and craft place mainly but they do have a very good model dept downstairs.

There are a few good clubs about too that I can introduce you to.

Drop me a PM if your interested.
docdios
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,998 Posts
KitMaker Network: 257 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2007 - 04:09 AM UTC
Rob

there is a small model shop just outside Leicester in Hinkley, also you can try midland counties books again just on the A5 between Leicester and Hinkley, they have plenty of reference material and the odd kit

Parabellum in Birmingham is worth a try, Or contact Phil at Mainly Military Models, he usually does shows but if you give him a ring its some times possible to pop around to his lock up.

does this mean you will be closer for scale model world this year in Telford.

i would also drop a post on the Bulldogs forum as there are a few members from Derby, Nottingham etc that may have a better idea of whats around that area

cheers

Keith
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 138 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2007 - 06:30 AM UTC
Hi Rob,
I live in Leicester and can confirm the only shop is Domonoes Toys on the High Street,has a big Domino sign on the front.The guy running the model section is called Francis and he will order things in if needed providing his suppliers carry it.You can get all your other stuff in Dominoes also from the craft dep`t, art dep`t or model railway dep`t,things like styrene sheet,brass rods,putty etc.
Not really an armour modeller anymore,more into figure sculpting now,although i will build something if it catches my imagination.

Steve
mark197205
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,593 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2007 - 07:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Rob

there is a small model shop just outside Leicester in Hinkley, also you can try midland counties books again just on the A5 between Leicester and Hinkley, they have plenty of reference material and the odd kit

Parabellum in Birmingham is worth a try, Or contact Phil at Mainly Military Models, he usually does shows but if you give him a ring its some times possible to pop around to his lock up.

does this mean you will be closer for scale model world this year in Telford.

i would also drop a post on the Bulldogs forum as there are a few members from Derby, Nottingham etc that may have a better idea of whats around that area

cheers

Keith

Keith's right, there is Punctillio Model Spot in Hinckley, its mainly a r/c shop but does have a good selection of "proper" kits.
Phil from MMM is a regular attender of one the clubs I go to and he is always bringing in new stuff to show off.
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,556 Posts
KitMaker Network: 292 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 11:37 PM UTC
Thanks for the info guys!

Keith-Yer I should be able to get to Scale mdoel world this year, are you going? I might try meet up with the guys from my model club were I currently live. Im pleased to be moving to the midlands, its a lot easier to get to places. Im guessing a lot of my time will be spent studying or partying lol, but I dont want to give up the modelling and forget all the skills ive learnt.

Steve- Pleased to hear you live In Leicester! As I wont be able to easily paint afv's anymore during my first year of Uni due to lack of spraying equipment etc, I was thinking of focusing more on figures-painting and sculpting. I want to try y hand at figure sculpting and stuff as this is relativly easy to do in the confines of my student room. I will ahve to come to you for some tips and pointers!
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 138 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 06, 2007 - 06:35 AM UTC
More figure sculpters is always a good thing.

Steve
Harley65
Visit this Community
entire network: 14 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 01:33 AM UTC
I'm also from Leicester and have just signed up here.
Didnt realise there were any clubs in the area,been looking for a while but not been able to find anything out so if anyone has any info I'd be greatful.
I only really build afv's and usually stick to the Commonwealth variety.
 _GOTOTOP