_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Chopper Blade Blurr
JAFMA
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 82 Posts
KitMaker Network: 27 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 06:35 PM UTC
I am going to try and do a diorama with a Black hawk Chopper but I want to give the effect that the blades are still moving, Is there anyone out there that can give me some ideas on how to accomplish this.

Thanks
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 09:03 PM UTC
Clear plastic......... the dia of the blades....... I'm not quite sure how to paint this though..........
Tomcat31
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,828 Posts
KitMaker Network: 212 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 09:31 PM UTC
Similar to the above technique but depending on scale I would use clear plastic on an "pie slice" (if that makes sense) and then airbrush the yellow (if need) on the tip end of the plastic, and then airbrush up to half of the clear plastic with matt varnish starting from the leading edge.

hope this helps
sweaver
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 759 Posts
KitMaker Network: 131 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 09:58 PM UTC
Cut a sheet of clear plastic to a circle of the right size, and drill a hole in the center. Then mask an "X" on the plastic, leaving two slender triangles opposite each other with the points touching the center. Airbrush your blade color on to the plastic, in this case black, I think. Before the paint dries, take a cotton swab and stiff wood brush, dip it in thinner or water depending on the medium you're using, and scrub the painted area with an arcing motion. With this you're trying to achieve the blurry effect. After this is dry, just remove the mask and fix it to the model with some white glue.

HTH
JAFMA
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 82 Posts
KitMaker Network: 27 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 04:39 AM UTC
How thick should the plastic be. And I guess the same thing would go for the tail rotor as well.
sweaver
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 759 Posts
KitMaker Network: 131 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 05:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

How thick should the plastic be. And I guess the same thing would go for the tail rotor as well.

I don't have much experience with plastic sheet, but I would assume that you should use the thinnest stuff you can get so it doesn't break your suport. BTW, this technique is not original. I got it from bonus instruction sheet on making dios that came with Revell's Wright Flyer.

The same thing should work on the tail rotors.
 _GOTOTOP