_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
SSSSHHHHH! I Make Models
Beaver22
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 263 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2007 - 03:20 AM UTC
Hi there

I was just wondering if anybody out there feels the need to keep their hobby under their hat.

I share my passion with all of my closest friends and my girlfriend, and some people at work. I was overjoyed when I finally had an article accepted for a model magazine and felt like shouting it from the rooftops.

My fear is that while most of them are impressed with my models and are quite interested in how I do them, some people out there do not see the point and think it's a bit stupid. Obviously I don't care what they think and consequently don't bother them with any further progress of mine.

I was just wondering if anybody else out there feels the same. While I love doing what I do and am striving to get involved in the model industry in any way I can, I do keep it a secret to a lot of people, especially new friends until I know them a little better.

That's why web sites like these are great for people like me, as it gives me an oportunity to talk to like-minded individuals and be involved in the community.

SSSShhhhh Don't tell anyone!!

Stuart
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
entire network: 3,529 Posts
KitMaker Network: 422 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2007 - 03:33 AM UTC
Yes, I do feel some people think modeling is for "kids". Of course my wife knows I make them and a couple people at work, but otherwise not many. It is the same way collecting baseball cards or Matchbox cars. Adults are not supposed to be into things like that. we should be into adult things like paying bills, mowing our yards, and things like that. In my area of the US if you don't hunt or fish you are considered an oddball.

I do plan to take some of my finished projects to some local shows. I would also like to write about modeling, after my skills are sharpened, and help to spread the word. Web sites are great to talk about the hobby. People out there know what we are talking about then we mention PE parts, MIG pigments, and filters.

But until I can find a few people in my local area, I will have to do my talking here. Which by the way is a great way to get to know folks all over the world.

ZippZiggy
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 79 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2007 - 03:37 AM UTC
Hey, if my freinds would ever think its stupid, I really would'nt gives a rats ***, and then would just go about my merry way.
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2007 - 08:09 AM UTC
Ahhh, to be young and worried about what other people think of me{something I never really did when I was young either}...hahaha. At my age I wear it as a badge of honor, to be able to recreate things I{and others} like in miniature..sometimes even from scratch. My friends like that I build models, because I've done afew models of they're cars{hotrods} as well.
I concure that if the people you meet don't care for the idea that you build models{and there are far worse things one can do with one's time and talents} then forget them. A good friend will hang with you no matter what you do{good or bad...especially if you've bailed him ouit before!}.
Be yourself and be proud of what you do and who you are...and don't bow to peir pressure.
Hey, I wore bell bottoms and had a beatle's haircut when I was a kid...building models can't hold a candle to that!
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 43 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2007 - 08:25 AM UTC
old-dragon,
I would have to agree with you. Bell bottoms, 70's music, and what ever cloths the parents made us wear......after all that what some one says about a hobby really doesn't matter. Then again we are proud of the builds we creat and we like to boast a little, so the web is a great place to find like minded peeps.
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
entire network: 4,011 Posts
KitMaker Network: 879 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2007 - 12:18 PM UTC
Hah, funny and good thread topic, I hear what you're saying.
All of my family and friends know about my plastic. People at work too. I'm always bringing discard parts and pieces (basically trash) home and at first they would ask me, "why do you want to take that stuff home with you?" Then I'd talk to them about it and they would think it's cool that I can still find time to do this.
And when I meet new people at a buddies house or wherever, and they ask what I do, I get right into it. The most popular reply is that they used to build planes and or cars when they were kids. It's cool, building models is cool.
Also in my resident area, there are LHSs and public shows and contests.

Quoted Text

Hi there

I was just wondering if anybody out there feels the need to keep their hobby under their hat.

I share my passion with all of my closest friends and my girlfriend, and some people at work. I was overjoyed when I finally had an article accepted for a model magazine and felt like shouting it from the rooftops.

My fear is that while most of them are impressed with my models and are quite interested in how I do them, some people out there do not see the point and think it's a bit stupid. Obviously I don't care what they think and consequently don't bother them with any further progress of mine.

I was just wondering if anybody else out there feels the same. While I love doing what I do and am striving to get involved in the model industry in any way I can, I do keep it a secret to a lot of people, especially new friends until I know them a little better.

That's why web sites like these are great for people like me, as it gives me an oportunity to talk to like-minded individuals and be involved in the community.

SSSShhhhh Don't tell anyone!!

Stuart

Hot-wheels
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 164 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2007 - 01:15 PM UTC
Hi guys

My days of worrying about what others think about what I do have long since gone away. Heck, my other hobbys involve tracking the movements of people who died a long long time ago. Or researching family trees. So building models is one of my more sane ways to spend my day.
Harry.
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,770 Posts
KitMaker Network: 747 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2007 - 02:41 PM UTC
Oddly and happily enough, I'm in a bit different position than most; I work at a University and have run across a huge variety of staff, faculty, and students that build. One of our Deans is a unbelievable figgie painter and "landscaper." His work is some of the best I've seen. Yep, trying to get him "hooked into" KitMaker.

Another staff member is a killer fantasy figgie painter. Her work really rocks.

One more; a student that I've known for some time just let me know he's a ship builder. Looking forward to seeing some of his work. And, he "dabbles" in armor!

So...just a couple of examples of builders here. A bunch of others aren't "into" modeling, but they appreciate what it takes and enjoy looking at some of the things I've shown them.

So.....ya never know!

Mike
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 5,422 Posts
KitMaker Network: 146 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2007 - 04:02 PM UTC
I have a few of my models in my office at work. Everyone from my boss to other supervisors ask what I'm working on now and stand and stare at my models and just shake their head and mutter "I'd never have the patience to do that." My wife tells people with pride that her husband builds models. I don't worry too much about what people say. In the end, as long as I'm proud of what I made, I'm happy.
auburn
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 102 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2007 - 07:11 PM UTC
evening folks,...
Well I don't smoke, I like a beer, but for medical etc. etc.,.. I sculpt, and paint figures and get high doing it, I even talk to my figures as I'm sculpting and painting and they talk back to me!!....I don't mow lawns, the lawn mowing man dose that,don't cut back trees, the tree man dose that and I don't get out of bed until 9:00 in the morning, then I do my figures........and as the famous man said," Quite honestly my dear I don't give a damn " he! he! ha! ha!.........and my good wife backs me........

Phil...
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2007 - 09:10 PM UTC
Yeah I used to keep it quiet. I don't bother anymore - my stash is too big to hide from visitors to the house. Any men who come to the house are envious that I still get to play and any women often express the wish that their partners would have a similiar hobby and not one that involves going to pubs and drinking lots of beer.
When anyone expresses the view that it's wierd I ask them what their hobby is. It generally turns out that either they have a much more obscure interest or that their hobby is watching TV
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 12:34 AM UTC
Golden Pony hit it on the head.

If you say building models they look at you won't laugh in your face but you get the look like this dude is a kook.

Now as I also have a big rifle collection that gets them saying cool.

Maybe the reason why they won't laugh.

Same here on Hunting and fishing.

If you are not out blowing something apart or fishing it out of the water you are a strange person.
Beaver22
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 263 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 08:08 PM UTC
Interesting collection of responses there. I am glad I am not the only one who holds this opinion. I notice that a lot of you have mentioned age in their replies. I am a relative youngster at 24 and maybe this is a contributing factor to how I feel, though I feel I am quite independant and confident in most other aspects of life.

I am lucky that my close friends and girlfriend are very supportive of my work and think it's great. They are supprised I have time though, as I am in a band called Cueball 8 which practices twice a week, not to mention gigs, seeing my girlfriend and working to fit in. I always find time though, even if it's simply painting a wheel before work.

Thank you for all of your kind works and encouragement.

Stuart
Gunfighter
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 374 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 11:56 PM UTC
While I don't really keep my hobby a secret, I tend to be selective with my audiences when discussing it. And when discussing it, I tailor what I say depending on the recipient.

I had, at least to me, an awkward revelation at an off-site training meeting with coworkers from across the country. It was an icebreaker - list three things about yourself, but one of them has to be false. Everyone else has to guess what the falsehood was. To make it short, I had to explain one answer, which was around modeling. I was surprised that several people showed interest and I was asked what subjects, and before I realized it, I mentioned German armor. I felt obliged to quickly add that those subjects are very interesting, diverse, and challenging.

I do display kits in my office at work, but once again, I'm selective. Some of my personal best builds have been WWII German subjects, but I don't want to rile anyone up, so they stay at home in the den. However, the Star Wars Tie Interceptor I've got on display gets lots of looks and interest.

If people think I'm geeky, kooky, odd, whatever - that's their call. I have diverse interests and I am who I am. I just choose to share depending on the person and situation, which I think is a given for us all.

- Frank
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 2,713 Posts
KitMaker Network: 159 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2007 - 01:42 AM UTC
I have always gone by that saying -- "different strokes for different folks". Some people may find the hobby less interesting for them -- so what then? I build for my personal satisfaction not for anyone else's.
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
entire network: 2,365 Posts
KitMaker Network: 474 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2007 - 02:07 PM UTC
I try to hide it. I'm a fresh graduate, I'm trying to land a job, and based on my experience in the university, I think I'd better hide it from my potential employers. It's too important to make a good impression, and if a websearch turns up my name and a "Nazi tank", it might not be very beneficial to me.
People either thought about this hobby as weird, and regarded me weird as well, or they thought I was some kind of a war-loving militarist. Neither of which is desirable when you're a candidate.
CReading
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,726 Posts
KitMaker Network: 558 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2007 - 02:36 PM UTC
For years I simply told folks that I built "Historical Miniatures" now I "create" Historical Scenes in miniature! (who cares what they think anyway...it's usually some dolt who's only hobby is drinking that gives you that incredulous look when models are mentioned)

Short and "sad but true" story:

My daughter is a fashion model which all of our friends and co-workers know.
Once when I was going to SoCal for TamiyaCon, my wife casually mentioned to her co-workers without thinking about it that I was "headed south with a bunch of models for a show"!
Later that day one of the more "concerned" female co-workers took her aside and asked if she thought it was wise to let her husband travel alone with a bunch of young, good looking 'models'

Sad because all my models are plastic (:
Cheers,
Charles
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
entire network: 2,511 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,296 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2007 - 04:46 PM UTC
used to feel discomfort plus a bit shame when meeting my modelling buddies at a restaurant and bringing our kits... now, what the heck, it's my hobby and i'm proud of it. Some passersby ask us what is it and i think this some kind of promoting. I small model ambassador.
seuss95b
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 173 Posts
KitMaker Network: 45 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2007 - 06:49 PM UTC
Yeah some of my friends think it is a little boring or childish, but I also find some of there hobbies boring. But most are interested in how I can hold the parts or even see them. With that said I do not hide the fact I enjoy this hobby or other that I have. My desk is even by the door in the living. I am who I am and who ever wants to be friends with me has to respect me for me.
sweaver
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 759 Posts
KitMaker Network: 131 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2007 - 10:09 PM UTC
In short, no. My parents greatly encourage my hobby, and all my relatives are amazed at every model I do. They even call me when they have a question!
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 12:50 PM UTC
I don't hide it from anyone. I tell people with pride that I build award winning military vehicle models that have hundreds of hours work in each piece. I show people how impressive the hobby really is and no one has ever belittled it.
tkdfighter
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 52 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 02:58 PM UTC
My wife calls us modelling geeks but she is my biggest supporter .next to my kids .I dont talk about modelling to many people but when it comes up most people are generally supportive and interested .It is not like i can hide it i have models sitting on shelves all over the house. What a great hobby it is like holding a piece of history in your hands
DaveInTheHat
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 57 Posts
KitMaker Network: 21 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 03:32 PM UTC
I've been asked if I'm still playing with toys. Thats kind of insulting. I don't hide my model building. I'm proud of what I do and there are enough people around me that like to see it.
captfue
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 785 Posts
KitMaker Network: 210 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 03:33 PM UTC
I don't advertize what my hobby is to friends. My thought is if I wanted an audience I'd learn to sing. I enjoy working alone. I some one ask I'll be glad to share my hobby, otherwise Theyt don't ask and I won' tell>
Augie
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 711 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 07:09 PM UTC
I find that most people when they find out that I build do get totally interested or just look at me like I have two heads. Some will ask what kind I like and I'll answer, "Oh, blondes, brunettes and redheads." Then I tell them that just about anything that strikes my fancy and once I get into telling them about how much it costs to build one with any aftermarket parts they want to see the results.
I also explain it as a history sort of thing. That I enjoy 'unusual' tanks and tell them a few of the little tidbits that I've learned since I started.
 _GOTOTOP