_GOTOBOTTOM
Introductions
If you are new to the network please post a little something here to introduce yourself.
An Irishman in Poland
AirLedge
Visit this Community
Cork, Ireland
entire network: 292 Posts
KitMaker Network: 15 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 10:44 PM UTC
Hi,

My name's Mike. I'm originally from Cork, Ireland, but now I live in Krakow, Poland with my wife and son. I've recently rediscovered modelling after a long break and I'm getting back into it. I came across this site recently and found it really helpful for born again modellers like myself,

Mike.
jimlolok
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
entire network: 53 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 11:54 PM UTC
Hi, Welcome to Poland from a Brit in Warsaw :-) Parents from the beautiful unique county of Wicklow..You may find more model shops here than in Krakow though you have the better scenery and architecture:-)))
Jim(shamus)Ryan.
SLAINTE AGUS SAOL CHUGAT
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 07:01 AM UTC
Welcome to Armorama Mike, Odd to hear of an Irishman in Poland whereas there are plenty of Poles here.

I visited Torun in Poland about ten years ago and have many happy if hazy memories of there.

What area of modelling are you interested in?
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 09:16 AM UTC
Hello Mike. Welcome from another exile ... Im living a little north from you ... Stockholm! Originally from Donegal, I have lived here for 11.5 years. ´Twas the internet that got me hooked up again and also the birth of me daughter ... needed something to do instead of running to the pub at the weekends. Hope to see some some posts soon. All the best. /Frank
Removed by original poster on 07/27/07 - 04:16:49 (GMT).
AirLedge
Visit this Community
Cork, Ireland
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 08:32 PM UTC
Hi,

Your right about the architecture
I have found 2 decent model shops in town and I recently got my hands on my first airbrush through an online shop so it's not too bad.
What do you do in Warsaw? I'm teaching English in Krakow.

All the best,

Mike.
AirLedge
Visit this Community
Cork, Ireland
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 08:37 PM UTC
Hi Pat,

I'm mainly interested in WW2 aircraft, although I have made quite a few jets, especially in my younger days. Now I'm making a F4 Corsair 1/72, which is taking me ages by the way (don't ask how long, please). It's just hard finding the time with a small baby around and work and loads of other stuff. But it's really nice getting back into modelling after a 12 year gap, slowly but surely.

All the best,

Mike.
jimlolok
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
entire network: 53 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 11:19 PM UTC
Krakow did not suffer the angry fist of the german army and the post war ministrations of Communist architects and builders..luckily..
I work in a modellers dream job.I design and build model displays for the 'Museum Of The Warsaw Uprising' One of the newest museums in Europe and a real eye-opener for those not familiar with the story.
Too many people equate it with the previous Jewish rising...
A Polish photographer was active taking pics during the 60 odd days of the fight and my brief is to turn those surviving pics into 3d models and dioramas for the TV/Video game generation who can relate to them better....Also have found freelance work like now for the US Embassy building US Navy ships for the Embassy reception area.....Also recently a gallery has agreed to sell my Anime figures that I build and paint as a change from greys and browns:-)))
Hard work(REALLY) but who could ask for a better job
PS..
Originally from London where I could have stayed,paying a ridiculous mortgage on a flat which I only saw for a few hours in the evening after enduring a days work as a Hotel engineer and the joys of the London Underground..Or sell up and move to warsaw to be with a beautiful Polish girl who adores me.Have a nest egg to be able to choose what i want to do and be in the centre of Europe with all countries within handy reach...OH YES..tough choice....Now I live near the forest(It belongs to my fiance's family) 30 minutes from a city where you can actually walk around without shoving your way through the crowds...Model shops/E.bay/internet/American bookshops for my English books/Marks and Spencers for the food....What more does an over 50 need:-)))))))
The only fly is the winter...NOT a snow person...but in a few years we intend to leave for Spain..
AirLedge
Visit this Community
Cork, Ireland
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2007 - 07:12 PM UTC
That's great Jim,

Sounds like a dream job alright. I'll have to check it out next time I'm in Warszawa. All the best and good luck!

Mike.
CaptainA
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 3,117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 204 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2007 - 06:41 AM UTC
Welcome. You will find there are a lot of knowledgable, experienced modelerrs on this site that will be able to help you with just about any questions you may have.

Rule 1. Have fun.
Rule 2. Ask for help whenever you need it.
Rule 3. Don't be scared to take your modeling to the next level.

Check out the campaigns when you have a chance. They are a lot of fun when you find one you like.
 _GOTOTOP