_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Kiwi Korner
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
UH-1D for 3 Sqd
kiwisoldier
Visit this Community
New Plymouth, New Zealand
entire network: 50 Posts
KitMaker Network: 29 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2007 - 08:18 AM UTC
Can any of you great modellers out there please tell me the best kit to rep 3 Sqd UH-1D
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2007 - 10:44 AM UTC
Hey Sean,
I suggest you get the new Dragon UH-1D, it's a re-issue of the Panda kit with a kick. It comes with a great set pf PE, new decals and a set of figures. You also get the Panda UH-1D which some of their kits may contain figures, or try to find the oldie but goodie Revell UH-1D kit. All three are the best choices out. As for the 3 sqd….not sure what you mean. Can you elaborate a bit more.

A bit of advice, there is a Rotary Wing forum for questions and answers. It's over in the AeroScale modeling forum. Their you’ll get more of a response to your Helicopter questions.

Welcome aboard
Joe
kiwisoldier
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2007 - 05:48 PM UTC
Sorry about that I should have put that it was 3 Sqdn R.N.Z.A.F(Royal New Zealand Air Force) This is our only unit that flies the UH-1D, I should have also put In that it is the 1 ; 48 scale and I will post this on the site you said Joe.
nzgunnie
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 371 Posts
KitMaker Network: 122 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 06:33 PM UTC
Italeri makes a pretty good 1/48 scale UH1D (although ours are actually H models). Not much practical difference. It is a nice kit with good detail.

The main obvious difference for the RNZAF model is the air intake vents are different. Cobra company makes a set of M60s on M23 mounts that can be used, although we are just replacing the M60 with the MAG58M (spade grips), but on the same mount.

Check out:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=110477468

for a book that includes quite a bit of detail on the machine gun mounts for the Iroquois, as well as the Blackhawk and Chinook.

What decals do you have for a 3 sqn aircraft?
kiwisoldier
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2007 - 07:37 PM UTC
Decals are from an old Flying Kiwis kit that I as for the guns they should have bought the old "GYMPEES" off the Army, I know that they are the same gun just made in different countries.
I have great memories of sitting on the outside seat next to the FSgt (door gunner) and thinking that me with a gympee and him with m60 who could do the most damage flying around Waiouru. Cheers for the info
nzgunnie
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 371 Posts
KitMaker Network: 122 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 10:32 PM UTC
The army now use new MAG58s as well. I think we must have got a job lot of them from FN.

The M60D remains in service with the Seasprite.
SJPONeill
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
entire network: 24 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 12:16 PM UTC
3 Sqn flies the H Model Huey... there are a number of different configurations for various roles and also in prep for the arrival on NH-90...you might want to try contacting the Central Photographic Establishment at Ohakea to see if they could supply you with some digital images or possibly approach the Squadron direct and request some pics of a specific airframe...maybe in return for a small donation to the unit fund (or your hot twin sisters' phone numbers!!)
kiwisoldier
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 02:12 PM UTC
Didn't need "hot sister" just "grumpy old man"(My Father) that drives the base commander around so went through that contact. Have completed the model and am trying to get a camera to tke some pics (was based on the white paint scheme for East Timor)
 _GOTOTOP