Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Who is this Beckham guy?
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 02:20 PM UTC
He is all the rage and is live on ESPN. They said he was a football player or something but he doesn't have on a helmet or pads? What gives?

Shaun
Timd346
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 74 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 02:32 PM UTC
When they said football they ment the sport we americans know as soccer he is from england or something and he has come to play on a american soccer team. He is married to one of the spice girls whos name I cant rember. I hope that answers your question.

Tim
Finch
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 03:15 PM UTC
Becks is indeed an English footballer (soccer player) one of the best, and he's kindly agreed to come over to the USA for insane amounts of money to play here.

If you need a second reason to hate the guy, he is married to Posh Spice, also known as Victoria Beckham, and if she isn't hot I don't know the meaning of the word.

Danny Egan
President
AMPS

HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 4,002 Posts
KitMaker Network: 648 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 06:04 PM UTC
Funny voice, can't dribble past a defender, best years are behind him...
Had a deadly right boot from set pieces, and a great long/through ball...
Was a legend at Manchester United (behind Eric Cantona of course) and was England captain... and sorry Danny, but 'slapper' springs to mind when mentioning his missus...
Marketing dream though; earnt scazillions from sponsorship, and trading on his name is basically the reason for the move. That and his missus wanted to expand her scope for spending his dough
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 07:27 PM UTC
Bradley, don't hold back.. just speak your mind.. A very good summary indeed. The scary news (sorry, bad pun..) is that the Spice Girls are reforming. Oh well, at least that means that Victoria has given up on the rapping career. or has the rapper given up on her.. . Remember though, before you slam David for selling himself for the millions he has earned, who are the mugs who are paying for it....

Non of these so called 'super stars' have yet managed to win a significant trophy, unless the count the 1966 fluke...

Running for cover...
Henk
Visit this Community
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 07:31 PM UTC
Ohh, and by the way, Bavid signed for Galaxy AFTER he was dumped by the new Englan manager, AND by Madrid... when he signed for Galaxy his career as a footballer seemed over. He did not sign for Galaxy for the football, but for the marketing opportunities.
kiwibelg
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
entire network: 939 Posts
KitMaker Network: 202 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 11:45 PM UTC
Hi guys,
Want to know more about David and Slapper Spice?
David and Victoria's life story can be seen here
It's amazing how the actors look EXACTLY like posh and becks...
Cheers,
Shay
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 01:17 AM UTC
Wow. Meant this to be posted in Spare Parts if Jim would be so kind as to move it.

I actually enjoyed the game. Don't understand why the guys fall down when someone runs past them but they have to be in great shape.
We have Bonds vs Aaron vs doping, gambling NBA refs, Vick and dog fighting so it was kind of nice to see something different.

Shaun
CaptainCanary
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 31 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 08:31 PM UTC
Used to be probably the best right winger (plays up and down the right side of pitch) in the world around 5-10 years ago but has gone down hill since he moved to Real Madrid in Spain after a very big public bust up between himself and Manchester Utd manager Alex Ferguson (which Becks mrs made the most of to get herself into the papers!).

Was a member of the 'legendary' Treble winning 1998/99 Man Utd. team (FA Cup, Premier League and European Champions League winners) although there were other players who contributed much more to the teams success than he did without the recognition that he got for his part.

Managed to villify himself to most English fans in the 1998 World Cup by getting sent off in a major grudge match against Argentina (don't mention the war!) for kicking out at one of their players who promptly fell down like he'd been shot. Redeemed himself in the following years after being made the English captain by (at times single handedly) helping England qualify for several major Championships.

After the 2006 World Cup he was dropped by new England manager Steve McClaren in a move which was motivated a much by 'politics' as it was Beckhams form, at the same time as his new Real Madrid manager Fabio Capello also dropped him from the first team. Earlier this year he was reinstated to the first team by both England and Real at the same time he signed his 'mega contract' with LA Galaxy. He helped Real to the Spanish La Liga title with match winning performances which would lead to Capello's sacking for letting him leave on a Bosman Free Transfer and put in several man of the match displays for England which put pressure on the England manager for dropping him before!

Don't know how he'll get on in the US as he's not the sort of player who can single handedly win a game, he needs people to be on the end of his passes and crosses in order to score (I guess for the Americans out there who are used to your version of football he's a bit like a quarter back needing the other players around him to catch the ball to score!). Still one of the best free kick takers in the game, he's able to get the ball to change direction in mid air so that Goalkeepers end up moving one way only to find the ball heading into the opposite side of the goal. Very weak tackler though, needs someone else to win the ball and pass it to him.

Hope this helps and that you remember it all, I will be asking question later!

And finally, do enjoy the Beckham experience America, cause we're sick of the sight of them over here!
kursk
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 214 Posts
KitMaker Network: 110 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 09:50 PM UTC
good week for us beckham his useless missus and now blair feel sorry for u guys . thank god we,re not all like them .
CaptainCanary
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 10:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

good week for us beckham his useless missus and now blair feel sorry for u guys . thank god we,re not all like them .

Yeah, hopefully a few more other overpaid 'superstar' footy players will follow him over the lake before they ruin the game over here any more than they already have with their pay demands.

And as for Blair, do you think we can sell the Americans the Houses of Parliment to go with London Bridge and make Tony B feel more at home (we'll throw the politicians in for free!) and make it an amazingly good week?!
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2007 - 01:28 AM UTC
I always felt Beckham´s biggest problem, was his celebrity.
On his day, IMO he ranked among the top footballers, but because of his slapper (perfect word choice Bradley) wife and her megalomaniac demand for attention, the world he lived in didn’t allow him to concentrate on football. As she has proven time and time again, she has zero talent, too anorexic looking to become a model, and too gabby to let loose behind a camera, LA should be perfect for her.
Not fully sure what happened at United, but he seemed more interested in hanging out with celebrity footballers and making Pepsi adverts, and between his very public lifestyle and Ferguson’s dislike for his missus, he was an easy target for the fiery Scot. How does one control a multi-millionaire? He was easily Real´s best player last season, when a lot of their other stars failed to impress, then dropped, sold and when re-instated again this season, Real realised what a blunder they made.
Of course money is behind the Galaxy move (as is his new beard after the Gillette fall-out) but he will do well in the States. He will bring attention to football and raise its profile more ... which is needed badly. Don’t know any player who would be more apt for the job. I agree, Beckham on his own, wont win games, but he can make things happen. If nothing else, he may influence a new generation of footballer in the States.
Football (soccer) is THE world sport and from 270 million + people, it’s not too much to hope that a good football team could be generated.
CaptainCanary
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2007 - 01:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I agree, Beckham on his own, wont win games, but he can make things happen.

Problem is that he has no Dwight Yorke, Andy Cole, Paul Scoles, Raul, van Nistelrooy etc on the end of his crosses to bury it in the net for him!
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,744 Posts
KitMaker Network: 283 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2007 - 02:33 AM UTC
I really think you could sell ANYTHING here in America...that's not made HERE!
Americans are fascinated by foreign Royalty and celeberties, (I guess Europeans are too...Look at Princess Dianna) to the point of absurdity! Put Stonehenge up for sale and some American multi-bazillionaire will buy it and have it crated up and shipped piece by piece to the U.S.
I'm sure Tony Blair will feel right at home here....although I'll take the opposite view of most of my English bretheren....I actually LIKE Tony Blair.
As for the Beckhams, Spice Girls, and SOCCER (Football to you non-American speaking individuals)......GO STEEEEELERS!!!!!!!!!!!!! (PITTSBURGH STEELERS American Football Style)

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Yeah, hopefully a few more other overpaid 'superstar' footy players will follow him over the lake before they ruin the game over here any more than they already have with their pay demands.

And as for Blair, do you think we can sell the Americans the Houses of Parliment to go with London Bridge and make Tony B feel more at home (we'll throw the politicians in for free!) and make it an amazingly good week?!

Vic
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,697 Posts
KitMaker Network: 237 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2007 - 08:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Funny voice, can't dribble past a defender, best years are behind him...
Had a deadly right boot from set pieces, and a great long/through ball...
Was a legend at Manchester United (behind Eric Cantona of course) and was England captain... and sorry Danny, but 'slapper' springs to mind when mentioning his missus...
Marketing dream though; earnt scazillions from sponsorship, and trading on his name is basically the reason for the move. That and his missus wanted to expand her scope for spending his dough

Took the words right out of my mouth
Glad to see the back of him and her. Both over rated nobodies who don't deserve the status they've got.
She can't sing, looks like a top heavy skeleton who's assets are as false as she is.
I can never work out how he's supposed to be one of the best footballers (soccer players) Compare him to some of the greats from the past and he's nothing.
The nightmare is that it looks like they're going to show his matches over here.
Arrgghhhhhhhh.

USA you're welcome to both of them and you have my sympathies

Vic
kursk
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 214 Posts
KitMaker Network: 110 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2007 - 09:23 AM UTC
i hear thy sold about 50.000 t shirts with him on ????? the worlds gone mad i tell you mad!!!!!!
chris1
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 949 Posts
KitMaker Network: 129 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2007 - 06:23 PM UTC
As someome who follows football or soccer( or both)
((((Rugby Union is a real mans game no pads and we use our hands))))
Beckham would have been a legend had he played for a real team LIVERPOOL
not that other team

Chris
FalkeEins
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 868 Posts
KitMaker Network: 46 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2007 - 10:07 PM UTC

why all the venom guys...?

Americans wondering what the fuss is about should just look up some on his goals on youtube....

here's the classic from inside his own half of the pitch in the English Premier league

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwiTeNrk9jY

..and Henk .....yes your remarks were idiotic ...especially for a 'Staff member'
Vic
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,697 Posts
KitMaker Network: 237 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 05:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

why all the venom guys...?

Americans wondering what the fuss is about should just look up some on his goals on youtube....

here's the classic from inside his own half of the pitch in the English Premier league

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwiTeNrk9jY

..and Henk .....yes your remarks were idiotic ...especially for a 'Staff member'

Staff member or not there's nothing wrong or idiotic about what Henk said and he's allowed his own opinion just like anyone else.

You strike me as one of the small minded sheep who follow the media hyped beckhams and keep them living in the unwarranted fashion they enjoy.
Don't you realise they're laughing at you????? Anything they do just earns them more undeserved money for nothing. They're laughing all the way to the bank.

I don't think he's helped English football at all. Anyone can score goals from set pieces if you take enough

Still, at least he found his feminine side thanks to posh
kiwibelg
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
entire network: 939 Posts
KitMaker Network: 202 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 09:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Still, at least he found his feminine side thanks to posh

You are spot on with that one Vic...old golden balls does have a fetish of wearing his wifes underwear
Bigskip
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,487 Posts
KitMaker Network: 464 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 12:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You are spot on with that one Vic...old golden balls does have a fetish of wearing his wifes underwear

And he probably looked better in it than she did