_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Your Stash
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
entire network: 3,529 Posts
KitMaker Network: 422 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 10:59 AM UTC
So, how big is your stash? I currently have no stash, but I do have 5 new kits in coming. During a previous modeling run I had close to 50 kits in my stash, but when I moved 10 years ago, I sold them off.

The of course I lost my spare parts box, paints, tools, extra decals, and all those other things that come in handy for modeling. I figure in about a year I should have a nice group of paints and spare parts. Plus I hope to have 10 to 15 kits sitting in my spare bed room.

capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 860 Posts
KitMaker Network: 340 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 11:15 AM UTC
After getting rid of many kits that I will not live long enough to EVER get to, I have around 100( aircraft and tanks).
capnjock
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 11:18 AM UTC
Hi jim. Forget about stash size .... try and stay within a few kits of what you´re building. I have about 60 kits, and it depresses me to think I´ll probably never get around to building all of them, especially with the rate of new kits coming out.
I try and buy a bit more reference books instead. Each new project I buy a book or two on that subject. You library over time will reflect what you build!
Gunfighter
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 374 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 11:33 AM UTC
I'm trying to prune it down, but I'm around 420 kits right now. A buddy of mine visiting last night took a look and make an exclamation that I can't post here.

- Frank
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 01:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...around 420 kits right now. A buddy of mine visiting last night took a look and make an exclamation that I can't post here.

- Frank

Same here with the exception of "my wife" usually makes said comments.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 01:30 PM UTC
About 60 or a tad bit more.

Got rid of about 100, years ago.

Still would not have enough time left to build the ones I have.
zeus60
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 56 Posts
KitMaker Network: 43 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 05:30 PM UTC
Over 400, mostly aircraft but some armor, cars and resin figures. The scary part is, I haven't been back at the hobby that long. But I can look at each box and think, "Boy, it's going to be fun to build that kit!", so it's all worth it.

I live alone, so I get no snide comments.
sweaver
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 759 Posts
KitMaker Network: 131 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 10:44 PM UTC
I have three in my stash, Revell's F-18 Blue Angel, Revell's Space Shuttle, and Accurate Miniatures' SBD-3 Dauntless. I'm building the SBD for a campaign, but I could see the others facing further setbacks once I finish my armor project, since I'll probably buy another. It never ends!
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 10:53 PM UTC
Not counting Figures, Figure Sets and Acc'y sets, I Have close to 80... Counting the rest... it's Well over 120
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
entire network: 3,529 Posts
KitMaker Network: 422 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 11:34 PM UTC
It is amazing how many kits people can aquire over time. One guy I work with has over 500, mostly cars and trucks. He says nearly every time he goes out some place he will ned up with a kit. Some of them are vintage and he thinks worth the time and effort to keep them.

To me the biggest draw back with starting over is the lack of the extras I need. I didn't have any tools, so I had to buy what I thought was enough. Then part way through my build, I needed somethign else. Just like now, I need some putty and sand paper. But with no hobby shop I gotta order it and wait.

But, I will get back and build my collection of boxed and built kits.

Gunfighter
Visit this Community
entire network: 743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 374 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 11:44 PM UTC
I remember when I first got back into the hobby a few years ago. Every project required something new. Paint this time, a better tool to make the job easier the next. I think I've hit a comfort zone on the tool side, and even paint to some degree, but each time I expand the topics I built, it's back to the hobby shop's paint rack.

I'll be honest, my stash got away from me. I'm a sucker for a good sale and from hanging around this site, I got interested in topics that previously didn't catch my eye. Heck, when I started again, I didn't even consider German armor. That shift probably accounts for the majority of my purchases now.

- Frank
mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
entire network: 894 Posts
KitMaker Network: 127 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2007 - 12:06 AM UTC
I have about 20,

My limit is that they have to fit in my closet. So I have to finish those three 1:32 aircraft so I can waste my money on about six Panzershop and Legend kits.

My other problem is that I have no space to put my finished models, my appartment is very small.
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2007 - 12:17 AM UTC
Hmmm the how big is your stash thread.

Well.. I actually stopped counting when I reached the 200 line. My room in the cupboards ran out... All filled with kits, The Cupboards of my parents in the attic are pretty full too. On top of the big cupboard in my room I managed to stack them up in Diamond shape so I made optimal use of the space between the top of the cupboard and the roof... The Diamond alone is an Architectural Masterpiece. And in a corner of the attic a small inca piramid shape is rising. I haven't counted them for a while but I believe in that piramid alone there is like 70 to 80 kits. Even more scary for most of the kits I have 1 or 2 PE sets, Resin upgrades, Tracks..... name it.

I need to get to reach the 305 year mark to built everything.

Delbert
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2007 - 12:43 AM UTC
myself, I'm down to about 70 or so... recently got rid of about 40 or so mostly old 50's and 60's car and trucks..

armorstuv
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 164 Posts
KitMaker Network: 99 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2007 - 12:45 AM UTC
My stash constists of well over 1000 kits. It probably doesnt help that I work at the LHS. I know that I will more than likely never ever build them all but its the fun in buying the new stuff.
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2007 - 02:31 AM UTC
Personally my stash runs at about 300-325 give or take. Couple of guys in the club have many more....one I would say is in the 500 range, while another is easily over 1000.

I just attended a show as a vendor, and I had a guy buying kits from me 2 at a time (the same kit), he said he would eventually build one and keep the other as a collectible, and that he stopped counting his collection when it hit about 4000 kits.

Like I said, my own personal collection is about 325, and with the store stock added on to that, it would probably double.....but wow.....over 4000 kits!!!!
Fitz
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
entire network: 439 Posts
KitMaker Network: 109 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2007 - 03:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So, how big is your stash?

About 45 of those are aircraft kits of various scales, almost entirely of various Saab types filled out with other aircraft used by the Swedish AF. Don't ask about my fixation with Swedish aviation. I don't understand it either.

I have 3 car kits and 1 dinosaur.

The rest are almost entirely 1/35 scale armor with roughly or slightly more than half being plastic figure kits.

The total count doesn't include detail sets or accessories, which I don't consider kits in and of themselves.

I've really cut down on my buying, both for financial reasons and because I have all the materials I need now to complete 6 diorama's and I really should get to it.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2007 - 04:21 AM UTC
IF I built one a week, and never bought another kit, I would still have a stash when I die.
ZippZiggy
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 79 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2007 - 04:40 AM UTC
My stash is about 5 kits right now, i try to only buy for the project at hand that i am working on.......somtimes i think its impossible to do

cheers!
DT61
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,226 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2007 - 08:22 AM UTC
I'm in the same boat that the "grumpyoldman" is!!! Time to start thinning the stash down, or maybe just not buy anymore?? Wait, my wife just asked if I wanted to stop in at the local hobby store!!! Must...stop...buying...lol

Darryl
mondo
Visit this Community
Mindanao, Philippines
entire network: 1,036 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2007 - 08:47 AM UTC
I have listed 183. Do you believe that I actually made a list last month? Some of them I have 2 or 3 copies of specially stuff like diorama accessories.

I still have some 50 or so at my moms' house.
Phantom2
Visit this Community
Östergötland, Sweden
entire network: 708 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2007 - 09:06 AM UTC
Stopped counting at 500, and that was three years ago!

Buying a kit, come home and rip it open, gazing at the parts and decals, reading the instructions, choosing what version to build, and dream.....

Then, some day I will actually build the kit!

My wife said; "Before you ever actually build that model, you have built it at least three times in your head".
Bang on Darling!

Every kit in my stash is bought with the intention to be built.

Now I try to cut down the kit-buing, and buy reference books and aftermarket stuff (decals, etchsets and resin parts) instead.

But nothing compares to come home with a long desired kit!

Cheers!

Stefan E
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2007 - 10:03 AM UTC
Way to many, 86 Helicopter kits, 11 large Aircraft kits, 42 Armor kits and over 200 car kits mostly racing type. These are kits that are supposed to be built over time, but never can catch up as I keep on adding more to the pile.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 12:16 AM UTC
Another one the LHS guy has a private stash.

He told me that he has about 4000 in his collection.

Never have seen them and don't think I want to just to share.
mark197205
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,593 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 05:12 AM UTC
To be honest have been to scared to count them, I know I had around 150 a while ago before my step-father died and as he left me his stash of which the majority is being sold on ebay (around 1000 so far) plus he used to attend model fairs as a trader so there is still another 4-500 left yet including the ones I'm keeping for myself.....
 _GOTOTOP