_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!
Built a model or part from your own materials lately?
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Relief Etch. Howto?
fantacmet
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 104 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 03:05 PM UTC
Ok I am familiar with how to create regular photoetched parts. No big deal. I've seen alot of etched parts from the aftermarket that are relief etched(such as making diamond plate), and a combo of regular etching and relief etching(such as making the bend marks, or patterns for wheel centers, etc).

Does anyone know how the relief etching is done? I mean I suppose I could just take it out before it's etched all the way through but that seems like it'd make for uneven etching.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 08:45 PM UTC
That's how it's done. using the proper methods (meaning closely controled ) the relief etchig is even.
fantacmet
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 03:39 PM UTC
There are a couple of people doing parts in their garages with lots of relief etch. I've asked already they are using no special etching equipment just a tub. They explained some kind of funky method I didn't catch, but it wasn't pulling it out early. This really is the one thing that has kept me from making my own etched parts.

I soon plan on starting to release for sale my own cast resin parts. Mostly small replacement parts, and accessory/stowage stuff. I know there is lots of stowage stuff available right now, but I'm gonna try and go a little different and offer a lower price, or more items for the same price.Spending 20 bucks on a small box of stowage items for one model seems a bit insane to me. I have a few masters done already. Making them out of Sculpy II, and then baking them to harden them up.
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 08:55 PM UTC
I hink it involves masking Both sides......... so the etching solution only eats from the one.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 10:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

There are a couple of people doing parts in their garages with lots of relief etch. I've asked already they are using no special etching equipment just a tub. They explained some kind of funky method I didn't catch, but it wasn't pulling it out early. This really is the one thing that has kept me from making my own etched parts.

I soon plan on starting to release for sale my own cast resin parts. Mostly small replacement parts, and accessory/stowage stuff. I know there is lots of stowage stuff available right now, but I'm gonna try and go a little different and offer a lower price, or more items for the same price.Spending 20 bucks on a small box of stowage items for one model seems a bit insane to me. I have a few masters done already. Making them out of Sculpy II, and then baking them to harden them up.

You are right on the cost $$$ for about 10 things.

Now if you go with legends then even bigger $$$ but they do look nice.

How about some Good Clevis's the Tamiya kit did not have one in it and the Dragon had 8 go figure.

I know they can be made and I made 2 but a heck of lot easier to have them ready to go in different sizes.

Question is it not hard to remove resin parts from a hard mold?

I have used the Dow rubber years ago and made me hundreds of 88 and 75 MM rounds and containers etc..

Hope to see your stuff.
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 11:10 PM UTC
Jeff,

I have cast up some clevis's for my use and "cuting" the mold to make it a Semi 2 part... makes it easier to remove the castings.... the downside is a touch more flash to remove.

I Too am working on a Line of Stuff to cast and sell
fantacmet
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 11:00 PM UTC
Cool. Looking forward to seeing some of it. I'm not really heading into it to make money, just kind of a contribution. 'Round these parts, hard to find alot of AM stuff. Most of the distributors don't carry it, or it goes straight to the more popular area's first, such as California, New York, etc. I just plan on going with a couple of LHS's, and then sell direct. If I sell some things great, I'll use the $$ to make a few more. If not, well then I have something to donate for prizes at local contests or something, as well as stuff to use for trading fodder, and on my own builds. Kind of a win/win situation. LOVE Verlindon stuff, but man it's so pricey. I have a couple of bedrolls, a backpack with bedroll, blankets, and a sandbag stack setup ready to make molds of. I'm not much of a sculpter to be honest. I barely managed to get these made from SculpyIII. However I can modify kit parts really well. Noticed I've done or a friend has done things, everyone said would NEVER sell because it can be done by yourself. He's selling out of almost everything he is making that people said would not sell. The one thing I made which are customer license plates from my own state, all but one package sold. Only reason that package didn't sell, is because nobody could think of anything to use those particular plates on. I did get requests for making more though. Only reason I didn't is because other issues came up. Like marriage, child, money, etc. Now I am in a position to start back up again. Have to convince the other of the two LHS's to buy though. The one that was buying from me, just went under b/c the land owner sold the property and let him out of the lease and told him to get out. New owner wants to develope into local demographic housing. Local demographic for that area is Illegals everything. Be they illegal immigrants, or dopers, of thieves, whatever. Kind of a bummer. Shop had been around for almost a hundred years. Maybe over a hundred, can't remember right now. His last day in business was today. Due to an abscessed tooth I was not able to stop by and pick anything up. The thing I REALLY wanted he was out of anyway. Now I gotta pay collector prices. Oh well.

Michael
 _GOTOTOP