Soldier Stories
Served in the military? Discuss your time and experiences here.
Hosted by Dave Willett
Unit Characters
SFraser
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 112 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 09:55 PM UTC
Hi folks, tell me what type of characters did you have in your units. In my regiment we had a scrounger who could get you almost anything, we were on exercise in a German Forest one night and we were sitting round the camp fire and the scrounger appeared with a dead deer over his shoulder. When I asked him where he got it he replied that it fell down a whole (Aye right). So we got the company butcher to come up and skin the beast, we ate like lords that night, venison stew, cool!
Another chap in the unit was a skiver, he went to the sick bay on morning complaining of Dandruff, and the Sergeant there just gave him a chit for 3 days off, just to shut him up. And of course we had the moaner, always complaining and moaning about something or other, he was never happy.

What are your memories.

Scott
captfue
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 785 Posts
KitMaker Network: 210 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 02:41 PM UTC
While In Marine Corps boot camp we had a kid who could do voice impressions. Towards the end of our trainning and after diner chow our Drill instructor had him get behind another platoon and in the voice of thier DI marched them off. As the commecial gose, seeing the other platoons DIs' face when he came out and his troops where gone was priceless.

I had one female soldier get three days no running for a paper cut. That one almost cost me my command. The first thing I did as the company commander was go to the major that gave her this no running BS, and ask him, (totally out of concern for his health) " when he checks his balls for testecular cancer dose he ever find anything."
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
entire network: 3,529 Posts
KitMaker Network: 422 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 02:43 AM UTC
We had the standard moaner on board my ship. No matter what we did he cried and complained. we could have steak and lobster for dinner and he would find something to complaine about.

In both boot camp and at A-school we had a sicko. These guys were sick or at sick call every day. I don't think one guy in boot camp ever went to PT in the mornings with us becasue he was at sick call so much.

Of course there was pervert in A-School. Every month he went to the local adult book store and bought every skin magazine he could get his hands on. His locker was full of magazines and each was was worse than the previous one.

There was a couple of gear heads on board ship. Could fix anything with a screw driver and bubble gum. Those guys were great to have around.

We also had a few too many trouble makers. One guy was restricted to the ship so much, I think he would get sick if he ever went ashore, because it wasn't moving.

casailor
entire network: 165 Posts
KitMaker Network: 56 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 06:28 PM UTC
When I was assigned to the 4th Combat Engineers, we had one of those poor souls who couldn't do anything right. To this day, I haven't figured out if he was just the unluckiest sob in the world, or if he tried to screw up by the numbers. We were "roadtesting" our Gama Goats and while trying to climb a 60 degree slope and getting stuck, he popped the clutch in 6 wheel drive 1st gear low range while going about fifteen mph in reverse down the slope-bang no more clutch. Another time he went joyriding in a M51 dumptruck (which he wasn't licensed to drive) and got it stuck in a "dry" lake bed, then our wrecker got stuck trying to pull him out, then our M88 tank retreiver got stuck trying to pull the wrecker and dump out. At that point we had to got to Battalion for help and after getting reamed out by the Battalion Commander, were told that by dawn everything had to be unstuck and back in the various motor pools, or people were going to pay. We had another character, he was a dozer driver and an alcoholic- the only person I have ever met who could actually do anything better drunk than sober. Get two or three bottles of maddog (M&D 20 20 a rotgut wine) and he could make a dozer sit up and beg- sober he couldn't even find the driver's seat.
Rick
Whiskey6
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 408 Posts
KitMaker Network: 179 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 06:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I had one female soldier get three days no running for a paper cut. That one almost cost me my command. The first thing I did as the company commander was go to the major that gave her this no running BS, and ask him, (totally out of concern for his health) " when he checks his balls for testecular cancer dose he ever find anything."

Anthony -

I can tell you were a jar-head!!!! I'll bet that bozo didn't even know that he was supposed to have two hangin' there.

Out-f'ing-standing!!!!!!

Semper Fi,
Dave
sneakypete
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Pacific, United States
entire network: 149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 20 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 11:04 PM UTC
As a Cav Scout, my driver at the NTC was constantly complaining and moaning about this that or the other. My gunner and I could not get him to shut up even after loosing a bet involving me doing a quick perimiter sweep with me wearing not much more than a helmet, lbv and combat boots, his end of the bet was that he wasnt allowed to complain for 24 hours, it lasted 2 hours. To this day I can't stand Ohio state because he is a fan.

When I was in Korea we had a fellow pilot ( I fly Hawks) who always seemed to have immaculant hair. After PT, 3 hour flight, or out in the field it didn't matter his hair was never out of place. Then again neither is mine, but thats just because Im balding and I keep it shaved.