_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: The Bush Telegraph
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Aussie M113?
jam2727
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 171 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 08:46 PM UTC
G'Day everyone

Now i dont know about much of what the aussie army does and makes but if anny one knows shout it out. I was on holiday for the past week up in Mildura. on the third night we were on our way to the working mans club when a white truck rolled past us whith 2 M113 shels on the back. so i got dad to chase it. when we got to it i could see it was 2 M113 sheld fitted with absolutley nothing at all and it had been made out of stainless steel. dad reckons it had come from wagga wagga but i didnt think we produced anny AFV'S and i dont know if they were producd in australian but they must have been. I dont know where we got our current 700 M113 came from but does annyone know if we produced/producing them? also the truck was unmarked and completeley white, no army or company markings, really weird and interesting. if annyone knows about it give us a shout

James
Phil_H
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 78 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 10:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

... it had been made out of stainless steel.

Actually the 113's are made of aluminium alloy.

What you saw may have been on the way to/from Tenix (near Albury) as part of the M113AS upgrade program. The old M113's are being refurbished and upgraded to M113AS standard, and in the case of the M113AS4, being stretched in length (essentially by strategically cutting and re-joining two M113 hulls, with the addition of one roadwheel station).

Program brochure: http://www.tenix.com/PDFLibrary/137.pdf (PDF document)
TimJames
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
entire network: 5 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 04:27 PM UTC
James,
Not sure what you or your Dad saw but it was but it could have been bare M113 hulls being tranported to Adelaide from Bandiana, Albury-Wodonga for the M113 upgrade program, or vice-versa.
And they are made of aluminium not stainless steel.
Yes there are a couple of armoured vehicles built in Australia, the Bushmaster by ADI, the shorland S600 by Tenix defence and now Tenix are upgrading the M113's.

Cheers
Tim James
 _GOTOTOP