Trouble with decals?
Old AMT decals need redone-how?
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 05:19 PM UTC
I just got an old 1/25 AMT fruehauf trailer kit off of ebay and while the trailer kit is fine, the decals are not, and I'd really like to salvage them{or redo} since it's the "AMT Corporation" decals for the side of the trailer. What's everyone{anyone} using in this day and age to tweek, remake, touch up they're old decals?
These decals have a minor/small spot gone on the spec decal for the front of the trailer and a water/glass mark on the "amt corp" decals.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 11:57 PM UTC
Bob, first thing I would do is add a coat or two of Micro-Scale Decal Film.
This will help them stay together, since decals have a terrible habit of becoming brittle with age. It's a liquid you can either brush on or with high enough pressure airbrush on. It will cover the entire sheet, and your have to trim each decal free.
It they have yellowed, I normally place them is a cheap picture frame under the glass, then attach this to a nice sunny window for a few days using blue tac. The sun bleaches out the yellow.

HTH
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 02:47 PM UTC
Thanks dave, funny thing as I'm doing the "yellowed decals in the window" treatment right now for my old IMC dodge L700 kit. Problem is I've got 2' overhangs on my ranch style house...might take more than a couple of days....
I may have a back door to the decal problem if I can't find a fix since I found a good pic on the web of a CB&Q labeled trailer...my favorite fallen flag.
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 787 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 03:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks dave, funny thing as I'm doing the "yellowed decals in the window" treatment right now for my old IMC dodge L700 kit. Problem is I've got 2' overhangs on my ranch style house...might take more than a couple of days....
I may have a back door to the decal problem if I can't find a fix since I found a good pic on the web of a CB&Q labeled trailer...my favorite fallen flag.

I'm glad it's going to be an easy fix!
As for the fallen flag, CB&Q. I'm sure you're aware of IRM in Union Illinois, since you're a FIBber and all! I don't know exactly where you're at, but, the Stainless Late Nebraska Zepher (sic) with the E-5 makes the trip from anywhere north of Springfield worth it.

Cuhail
tiald1
entire network: 6 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 11:50 PM UTC
Hi there
Have a look at my website,i can reprint your decals brand new
www.parkes682decals.piczo.com
Best Regards
Paul
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2007 - 04:17 AM UTC
Cuhail, Oh yeah, been there a few times and have loads of pics. While that zephyr is nice, I've always been partial to the early 9900 version. My grandfather worked here in the Aurora roundhouse...when it was the railroads. My mother has a box full of train/car pics of things that passed thru there to get fixed and/or repaired{they had the car repair shop down the ways where the current BN credit union and aurora post office are now...he worked on engines in the roundhouse}. All my model trains{not that many any more} are modeled in pre 69' merger colors with the exception of two cascade green "burlington" marked cars{no "northern" added undernieth}.
Back up option #2 came to me just now...an R.E.A. trailer. Hmmmm.....

...LOL.."FIB"...never heard that one up north when snowmobile riding with those guys..NOT.
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2007 - 04:28 AM UTC
Paul, I may just take you up on that, when you get back.
Nice dragon/rapide...love those bipes.
Yell when your back home and situated{relaxed}.......
-Bob
jimb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 2,539 Posts
KitMaker Network: 263 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2007 - 08:45 AM UTC
Bob,

You could also try http://www.danmodeltruckworld.com/ I've worked with him on soem old AMT decals, and he does a good job. Great guy to work with. He's making me some Ford L-Series logos in 1/25 right now.

Jim
 _GOTOTOP