_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Need help with 1/48 soviet airfield dio base
madwolf
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 258 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 11:05 AM UTC
I would like to build a diorama showing a typical cold war era soviet airfield. (these were usually made of square pieces of concrete with grass growing between them). Usually quite neglected with lots of weathering. My question is how can I make these pieces of concrete (in 1/48 scale I would think they would be roughly 2 by 2 inches or so) and where can I buy some realistic 1/48 grass from? Any other tips?
Thanks!
CReading
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,726 Posts
KitMaker Network: 558 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 11:51 AM UTC
I've seen some pretty decent runways made of art board. The kind that artists use for watercolor paintings.You scribe the lines with an xacto knife to get the 2" squares. Then paint the entire piece with a concrete color. You can put washes on top of this and add any detail such as tire marks etc. As for grass? I would look into Silfor grass at Scenic Express. The 'clumps' they sell should adapt readily into the cracks in your airfield. You may need to trim them after you've placed them to get a 1:48 effect.
Cheers,
Charles
madwolf
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 258 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 07:30 AM UTC
Thank you! I wil follow your advice.

I have another issue I need help with. I ordered some grass matts and tuffs, but I need some sort of imitation "ground" to plant both the grass and also to place the "concrete on". Any tips on what I can make that from?
 _GOTOTOP