TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
dambusters redux
f1matt
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
entire network: 1,021 Posts
KitMaker Network: 15 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 07:12 PM UTC
I recently heard a rumor that Dambusters was being re made. Any body else hear about this? I hope its true as I love those Lancasters.
Vic
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,697 Posts
KitMaker Network: 237 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 10:20 PM UTC

Apparently there is one coming, there was a thread here a while ago about it.
Haven't heard much more.
As long as they do it properly I'll look forward to it but I hope hollywood doesn't make it a joke.

All the best

Vic
redshirt
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 270 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 12:08 AM UTC
It is a good story. I agree, I hope Hollywood doesn’t does not trash it to make it marketable. Such great, yet simple innovation to get altitude, distance from target and proper rotational speed on weapon for the skipping effect.

Wikipedia has a good article and several fine links on Operation Chastise.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dambuster" TARGET="_blank"> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dambuster
Bigskip
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,487 Posts
KitMaker Network: 464 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 12:46 AM UTC
Last heard that Peter Jackson was doing it - him of Lord of the rings fame. I hope he can do justice to it.

Andy
Tapper
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 664 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 11:04 AM UTC
I hope and pray it isnt made by anyone from Hollyweird. If its anything like U-541, I am going to be violently ill.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 11:55 AM UTC
BBC news
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 12:24 PM UTC
I've got mixed feelings about this one. Jackson is a very good director, and if he does what he said in the article, about staying as close to the original, and accurate, then it should be great. Just as long as he doesn't let Hollywood get their grimy paws on it. Tom Cruise as Gibson, Richard Dreyfus as Barnes-Wallis, Madonna as the obligatory love interest, and singing the theme song of course. (Gag, I'm even making myself sick thinking about it. ) Who knows, Hollywood would probably either update it to using B-2s, or substitute B-17s for the Lancasters.

$30 to $40 million? That doesn't seem very much now days. Isn't that about what a music video costs? I wonder if they'll have two versions again, one for the rest of the world and one PC version with Gibson's dog name being Digger?

CaptainCanary
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 31 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 11:21 PM UTC
I'm dreading it, some things are best left alone, the original was a classic! Look what they've done with all the remakes of the 'classic' horrors that have been released over the last few years.
Brigandine
Visit this Community
Dunedin, New Zealand
entire network: 553 Posts
KitMaker Network: 148 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 02:31 AM UTC
It's in good hands - Peter Jackson loved the original movie and he will be sticking closely to the original storyline.

As for Hollywood getting their sticky paws on it and ruining things? PJ wouldn't let anyone of the Brukheimer "Give 'em more bangs and bugger the history" ilk get anywhere near his pet project.

There are people in Weta Workshops who are doing a great deal of research into the 617 Sqn. Avro Lancaster Mk III (Spec.) and everything else surrounding the mission, including Barnes Wallis and 'Upkeep'.

Have faith, it'll be a good 'un!

Also http://www.computing.dundee.ac.uk/staff/irmurray/bigbounc.asp
chris1
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 949 Posts
KitMaker Network: 129 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 08:16 AM UTC
Apparently the rumour is true
Towards the end of last year Peter Jackson assembled a full Lancaster crew of WW2 vets and got them up to MOTAT where there is a Lancaster on display.
He picked their brains inside said aircraft...as to jobs etc.
They thought no more of it until the word was out about a DAMBUSTER remake.

Furthermore he has a full size replica of a lancaster made it is now appartenly in China at present where copies are being made.for the movie

By the way Peter Jackson is a WW1 buff and has many WW1 aircraft at the museum at omaka in the south Island

He also had 2 helldivers built for King Kong one is also at the museum

Did I forget anything::::nope

Hope that helps guys

CHRIS
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 09:58 AM UTC
I have faith the flying will be spot on. Go back to Jackson's Kong on the Empire State as the planes strafe him. Watch closely as the wheels slowly turn in the slipstream. That's a detail whioch could have been ignored and no one would even noticed.