_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Working with brass/metal parts
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
entire network: 3,529 Posts
KitMaker Network: 422 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 05:45 AM UTC
I looked in the Advice forum but could not find a previous topic on this. SO, since I had a question, I thought why not start a new one.

I am going to be starting on a new projuect and will be adding a detail set. THe base kit is a Trumpet KV1 with the add on being from Lion Roar.

I have cutting/holding tools already. But, what to I use for glue? I had always used a supe glue in the past, but I have not ever worked with brass parts.

On the finish side, will just about any paint stick to the brass parts? I normally do not primer and kits before the base coat, should I primer everything or not?

Thanks in advance!

matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 05:55 AM UTC
be sure to clean any metal parts. Superglue or Epoxy are the most economical options for attaching PE and other metal parts.
DaveInTheHat
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 57 Posts
KitMaker Network: 21 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 06:28 AM UTC
I almost always airbrush a coat of Floquil primer on metal parts. That way I can use any type of paint over it. Depending on what your doing and how big the parts are it may be easier to prime them first and scrape the primer off the areas to be glued.

I tried using acrylic paint over brass and it didn't stick. It may have been the type of paint I was using.
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,123 Posts
KitMaker Network: 330 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 06, 2007 - 09:12 AM UTC
Clean everything prior to bonding (isopropyl alcohol is very good at getting off grease and dirt.

Lightly abrade the surfaces to be bonded. Scuff with scotchbrite or 400+ grit.

Superglue is good abnd fast, but has low shear strength (just like on plastic).

Epoxy bonds better and is tougher, but is hard to apply as cleanly and items must be set aside for much longer until the bond kicks in.

Priming everything after bonding is a great way to get an even and well bonded paint job. I also find Floquil to be a really good primer for models that adheres well to plastic and metal and doesn't obscure fine details.

HTH

Paul
 _GOTOTOP