_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Scribing Tools
Bigskip
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,487 Posts
KitMaker Network: 464 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 01:21 AM UTC
I have a kit that need the panel lines rescribed. I've never done this before - any ideas where i can buy a scribing tool? or can i use a #11 scalpel blade?

Andy
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 02:13 AM UTC
Squadron or MicroMark would have them. You can also use the #11 blade, or a heavy guage needle, or an al, or sharpened nail.

I personally find it best to use a multi-pass aproach. Slowly build up depth (if that can be done - building depth? ) with multiple easy draws.

madwolf
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 258 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 03:50 AM UTC
I have two scribing tools. A mission model (www.missionmodels.com) scribing kit and a bare metal foil tool (http://www.bare-metal.com/).

I've used both, but had better luck with the bare metal foil one. It does take patience and practice. I've only started scribing on the model I'm currently building. I'm somewhat pleased with the results, but I would highly recommend that you use rulers or other tools to keep the scriber straight or round, depending on the figure you're doing. You can easily mess up your work if you don't.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 10:25 AM UTC
I got my scriber from Micromark and it's a fantastic tool. A #11 blade will leave plowed up ridges on each side of the scribed line but the Micromark scriber does not. It actually removes the plastic. To keep the line accurate I use duct tape or a steel ruler and make a series of light passes.
Roxter
Visit this Community
Rigas, Latvia
entire network: 268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 14 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 11:16 PM UTC
From what I've heard, our Japanese colleagues use tamiya scriber or hasegawa (tritool) tools or both. rounded or curved surfaces would surely be better scribed with tritool sribing saws (at least I'm definitely going to purchase one).

here's a nice selection of hasegawa's modeling tools.
Ross
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 213 Posts
KitMaker Network: 81 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2007 - 12:52 AM UTC
I have heard that a craft blade/scalpel can be used to scribe but it needs to be used backwards. The normal way round just makes it dig in and leave furrows but backwards makes it strip a small strip of plastic out like a scribing tool. It may need practice and some blades may be better than others.
 _GOTOTOP