_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
How Long?
cementshoes
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 69 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 12:30 PM UTC
Looking at some of the models posted on this site and in the many magazines available, it looks like the builder has put a lot of time and thought into the build. I'm relatively new to the hobbie and somtimes feel like I rush my builds to get to the final result, which I'm not always happy with. I relize there should be no time limit when it comes to this type of hobbie, but maybe I should force myself to slow it down a notch.
How long do you spend on average to build 1/35 AFV?? (hrs)
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 01:44 PM UTC
Me myself this might sound weird,but as long as it takes.

Don't do them all the time anyway.

Some 3 months others can be longer if using PE or adding little bits.

Take your time and don't rush.

Welcome also.
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 5,425 Posts
KitMaker Network: 341 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 01:48 PM UTC
It depends on the complexity of the project, but on average for a 1/35 AFV, I usually spend about 30-40 actual work hours depending. Mostly spend time on projects on the weekends and usually get 1 project done in a 4-5 week time span. They key is to know when to stop and let things rest for a while before going on to the next step. Usually when I feel that urge to hurry along, that's my warning sign to set it aside for a bit and come back to it later when I don't feel the need to rush.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 03:18 PM UTC
I've done a 54mm figure that was good enough to take a few awards in as little as eight calendar days. Others may take a month or more. It depends on the how the real world is going.
Johnston_RCR
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 470 Posts
KitMaker Network: 101 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 05:06 PM UTC
My average is probably 30-50 working hours, depending on how demanding it is. I can complete some smaller jeeps, or something easy like the Zvezda BTR-70 in as little as 8-10 working hours, including painting.
Sandy
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 628 Posts
KitMaker Network: 212 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 11:08 PM UTC
hi , my answer is how long is a piece of string , this not a flipent reply , each model takes as many hours as required, research can take as long as build time aand the same for painting and weathering . My last model took about 120 hours build and paint time and nearly as much research . It is a scratch build Zis 5 pontoon carrier and pontoon . the point is knowing when enough is enough cheers ian
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2007 - 12:41 AM UTC
The subject and addition of AM kits really affect the time spent.
The hours spent on a kit are roughly 40 hours per basic subject.
The calendar days are usually 2 - 3 months.

I used to rush a build to get through and have grown the enjoy taking the time to go slowly. I look at each step as a build in itself and have learned to appreciate and enjoy the sub-assemblies.
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 2,220 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2007 - 01:05 AM UTC
Mine average about 40 hours too for a simple build. I have spent over 120 bench hours on complex projects with full interiors!

BTW I ahve been at this over 30 years and in the beginging I would build and paint a kit in one sitting - so I think the further you get into things the natural tendancy is to produce less quantitiy and more quality - which means more time!
DT61
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,226 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2007 - 02:04 AM UTC
Rick,

Well I find it depends on what I am building, OOB or one with a lot of PE / resin. I try to get at least 1 hour per night of building but often that 1 hour is spent reading a reference book, cleaning the modelling area.

To me, its modelling MUST be FUN After all its a hobby! I also find with our lovely Ontario winters that I do much more modelling during the late fall, winter and early spring.

So take what ever time you want to build your kits the way you want them.

Darryl
DeskJockey
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,558 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2007 - 12:31 PM UTC
My first few builds last year averaged about 20-30 hours total over the course of a couple of months. I'm now building a Tamiya M1A2 that has taken me about 60-80 hours so far spread out over six months. I'm only adding a few scratch-built details, but it's the first time I do so and I've had to go slowly. I guess I'm slow as molasses.

goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
entire network: 3,529 Posts
KitMaker Network: 422 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 06:06 AM UTC
I've taken from a day to a month. Granted my level of detail was nowhere near the level some people put into their models.

I am going to be starting on my first AFV in 12 years soon, so it will be interesting how long this one will take.
scj1014
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 56 Posts
KitMaker Network: 18 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 03:24 AM UTC
The short answer is...it takes as long as it takes.

Some kits just seem to fall together, while others are a bit more of a "challenge" to assemble. When you add AM parts or attempt a conversion, the length of time required to complete a kit invariably stretches out.

The more "obsessed" with total accuracy one becomes, the longer it takes to research and acquire or scratchbuild the needed parts or modifications. Sometimes, the research can become more interesting than actually building the model...and that's OK. I know I spend a lot of time and money on references. I derive just as much satisfaction from spreading out 6 or 8 reference books and examining photos for an evening as I do working on a model.

In the final analysis, it really doesn't matter how long it takes to build a kit.
For 99.9% of us, this is a hobby. We build for fun and as a diversion from the daily stress of real life.

My advice: build at whatever rate you are comfortable with and enjoy the the hobby. It isn't really about the length of time or even the finished product...it's more about the process and personal enjoyment.
feldgrau
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 496 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 03:30 AM UTC
I second this .. the building process must be fun to do, and you achieve the quality or quantity you enjoy personally... sometimes, spending more time gives a better result.. as long as you enjoy the hobby and find a good trade-off between time and finishing a project, that's all what counts.

good building !
best wishes
Johan
Afroman
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 152 Posts
KitMaker Network: 14 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 03:42 AM UTC
well, this may sound a bit silly but to complete a single 1/35 figure (diorama included) i spend bout 2 - 3 days on it. At the moment i am building a kublewagon and it's taken about 2-3 weeks already
Sandy
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 628 Posts
KitMaker Network: 212 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 04:58 AM UTC
hi all , to give an example of how long a scratch built part can take , I counted up the seperate parts and number of hours it took to build my 5th wheel att plate took . 46 bolts drilled and fitted , 30 parts all cut and formed to shape , total of 10 hours spread over a week this was due to drying time to allow part completed sections to be held for further work . rest of truck cab and chassis and extended body I est will take at least 100 hours before I arrive at painting stage. I will be taking it to Beltring in as work in progress . cheers ian
propboy44256
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,038 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 06, 2007 - 01:27 AM UTC
about 30-40 days for me, I try to work at least 1/2 hour a day, but that doesnt always happen, I log the day and hours spent juss to get a feel and Im at about 600-700 hours for one model
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,123 Posts
KitMaker Network: 330 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 06, 2007 - 08:16 AM UTC
I actually don't get to build very often, so my build rate is really low, but by the time I'm done with anj intricate build, I can spend over 100 hours. My scratchbuilds can take over 250 hours.

One thing I have learned is that to hurry, is to make mistakes. I make enough of those on my own without hurrying to make the next one.

Paul
BornToDig
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 345 Posts
KitMaker Network: 19 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 03:21 PM UTC
I'd say that 30-40 hours is about average build time for me. I generally build OOB, sometimes adding a basic PE set or some simple scratch-built details.

The assembly stage often takes up less than half of that total; perhaps 10-15 hours on average.

Depending on what is going on in the real world, I can finish a kit in 2-3 weeks, but some have dragged on for several years.

_GOTOTOP