Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Explosives-packed car defused in London
Lucky13
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,707 Posts
KitMaker Network: 530 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 29, 2007 - 02:46 AM UTC
By DAVID STRINGER, Associated Press Writer
10 minutes ago

LONDON - Police in London's bustling nightclub and theater district on Friday defused a bomb that could have killed hundreds, after an ambulance crew spotted smoke coming from a Mercedes filled with a lethal mix of gasoline, propane and nails, authorities said.

The bomb near Piccadilly Circus was powerful enough to have caused "significant injury or loss of life" — possibly killing hundreds, British anti-terror police chief Peter Clarke said.

Britain's new home secretary, Jacqui Smith called an emergency meeting of top officials and later said the attempted attack was "international terrorism."

Police were examining footage from closed-circuit TV cameras in the area, Clarke said, hoping the surveillance network that covers much of central London will help them track down the driver of the Mercedes.

Hours after the discovery, police closed a major road on the edge of Hyde Park in response to reports of a suspicious vehicle. Despite the closure of Park Lane, a police spokesman said there was nothing to immediately suggest it was linked to the foiled bombing.

"We are currently facing the most serious and sustained threat to our security from international terrorism," Smith said. "This reinforces the need for the public to remain vigilant to the threat we face at all times."

Officers were called to The Haymarket, just south of Piccadilly Circus, after an ambulance crew — responding to a call just before 1:30 a.m. about a person who had fallen at a nightclub — noticed smoke coming from a car parked in front of the building, Clarke said.

Early photographs of the metallic, pale green Mercedes show a canister bearing the words "patio gas," indicating it was propane gas, next to the car. The back door was open with blankets spilling out. The car was removed from the scene after a bomb squad disabled the explosives.

The busy Haymarket thoroughfare is packed with restaurants, bars, a cinema complex and West End theaters, and was buzzing at that hour. "Phantom of the Opera" is playing at the Her Majesty's Theater down the street.

It was ladies' night Thursday, nicknamed "Sugar 'N' Spice," at the massive Tiger Tiger nightclub, a three-story venue that at full capacity can pack in 1,770 people and stays open until 3 a.m.

The Haymarket venue is Tiger Tiger's flagship club — billed as "stylish and friendly," with live DJs, cocktails and an Asian fusion menu. Owner Novus Leisure also has Tiger Tiger clubs in eight other cities across Britain.

Police were also investigating the possibility that the planned attack could have been criminal in nature.

In response to the foiled bombing, the U.S. government urged Americans abroad to be vigilant but officials said they saw no potential terrorist threat in the United States ahead of next week's July 4 Independence Day holiday.

"At this time we are characterizing this as a localized incident in London," said Laura Keehner, a spokeswoman for the Department of Homeland Security.

Police in Britain said they did not have any suspects. Authorities urged people who were out in the area to call Britain's anti-terror hot line with any information. Authorities closed the Piccadilly Circus subway station for eight hours and cordoned off a 10-block area around the scene.

Clarke said police would examine footage from the vast network of video cameras in central London equipped with license plate recognition software. There are 160 security cameras in the Westminster Council, the district encompassing Piccadilly Circus and the Haymarket area, alone.

The cameras were put in place following a series of IRA bombing attacks in London in the 1990s — and to enforce London's congestion charge, a toll levied on cars entering central London during certain times of the day.

A British security official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the security details, said there were similarities between the device and vehicle bombs used by insurgents in Iraq.

The official also said the domestic spy agency MI5 would examine possible connections between Friday's bomb attempt and at least two similar foiled plots — to attack a London nightclub in 2004 and to pack limousines with gas canisters and shrapnel.

In the 2004 plot, accused members of an al-Qaida-linked terror cell were convicted of conspiring to cause explosions. One of the possible targets M15 overheard them discussing was the Ministry of Sound, one of London's biggest and most famous nightclubs.

One man is heard saying the plan was to "Blow the whole thing up."

The discovery of the bomb resurrected fears that followed the July 7, 2005, suicide bombings that killed 52 people on three London subways and a bus and failed attacks on the transit system just two weeks later.

Gordon Brown, who only Wednesday succeeded Tony Blair as prime minister, called it a stark reminder that Britain faces a serious and continuous threat of terrorist attacks: "I will stress to the Cabinet that the vigilance must be maintained over the next few days."

Gordon Johndroe, the National Security Council spokesman, said American officials were in contact with their British counterparts "and will continue to monitor the situation."

The terror threat level in Britain has remained at "severe" — meaning a terrorist attack is highly likely — since last August.

On Friday, Metropolitan Police said it sent more officers on the streets of central London. Authorities also stepped up security at Wimbledon.

One analyst said the bombers could be trying to send Britain's new leader a message.

"It's a way of testing Gordon Brown," said Bob Ayers, a security expert at the Chatham House think tank. "It's not too far-fetched to assume it was designed to expedite the decision on withdrawal (from Iraq)."

GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 29, 2007 - 07:04 AM UTC
Lest we forget there is a War on Terror going on. Fortunately, this bomb didn't injury anyone. I hope England doesn't pull a Spanish surrender and pulls its troops from Iraq as a means of appeasement.
mark197205
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,593 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 29, 2007 - 10:26 AM UTC
A second device also existed and has been defused, apparently it was parked illegaly, ticketed and then towed to the pound, after reports of the first device came through the second vehicle was checked and found to be a carbon copy of the first.
redshirt
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 270 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 29, 2007 - 11:15 AM UTC
Funny that the police have no suspects and are investigating the possibility that the planned attack could have been criminal in nature when the Home Secretary has already determined that it is an act of "international terrorism.".

I am glad it didn’t go off either way.

GSPatton: I would be embarrassed to say anything so insulting and tactless.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 29, 2007 - 11:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

A second device also existed and has been defused, apparently it was parked illegaly,] .

Now that shows extreme stupidity!
jabo6
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 276 Posts
KitMaker Network: 72 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 29, 2007 - 11:58 AM UTC
gspatton Britain has stood up to bonaparte the kaizer, herr hitler & the ira. Britain does not do appeasment.
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 29, 2007 - 12:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

A second device also existed and has been defused, apparently it was parked illegaly,] .

Now that shows extreme studidity!

Not it if it had Polish numberplates..
prawdziwy-sok
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
entire network: 9 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 29, 2007 - 12:13 PM UTC
sorry, but what do you mean?:)
CReading
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,726 Posts
KitMaker Network: 558 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 29, 2007 - 01:12 PM UTC
Wow this thread has degenerated faster one could imagine

Cheers,
C.
GSPatton
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 29, 2007 - 04:03 PM UTC
[GSPatton: I would be embarrassed to say anything so insulting and tactless.
[/quote]

Redshirt, if you remember Spain was also allied with us in Iraq until terrorism struck. England has just had a change in leadership. Tony Blair who has stood strong and fast with us in the fight in Iraq is out and Brown is in.

What I said was, "I hope England doesn't pull a Spanish surrender and pulls its troops from Iraq as a means of appeasement."

This was NOT an insult to the British, it was an observation based on historical fact. Let us not blow things out of preportion.
kiwibelg
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
entire network: 939 Posts
KitMaker Network: 202 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 29, 2007 - 08:06 PM UTC
Hello,
Firstly..why has this been blown out of proportion??Simple..this is a current event, and some people who like to post such topics should read the rules of the junk drawer.
If you start posting about crowds killing a driver, bombs in London, and school shootings there is no doubt these topics with political overtones will always end up getting over heated.
Jan, why do you continually post topics that 99% of us hear and see everyday on either the news or the radio?I don't really appreciate seeing it here..like i've posted before, it's not all doom and gloom out there buddy!
Lucky13
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,707 Posts
KitMaker Network: 530 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 29, 2007 - 09:25 PM UTC
I'm sorry, it won't happen again.....
Bigskip
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,487 Posts
KitMaker Network: 464 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 29, 2007 - 10:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

sorry, but what do you mean?:)

i believe this was meant as a comment on the number of Poles currently living in England, some of which seem to have little or no regard for the rules of the road over here. I hope it was not an assault on the Poles as a people in general.

Andy
Bigskip
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,487 Posts
KitMaker Network: 464 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 29, 2007 - 10:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm sorry, it won't happen again.....

Jan

i don't think that you should stop posting such things here - a lot of stories do not get the international coverage that they should, and it is a good way to keep up with current events.

Andy
dropshot
Visit this Community
Provincia de Pontevedra, Spain / España
entire network: 300 Posts
KitMaker Network: 80 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 29, 2007 - 11:52 PM UTC
Jan, I happen to agree with Bigskip thanks for keeping me up to date mate. I´ve only just switched on the P.C. to find that out.
kiwibelg
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
entire network: 939 Posts
KitMaker Network: 202 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 12:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As an off-topic forum you can post almost anything non-modeling related in these forums. However keep in mind the following:

1. No current events or political rantings

Maybe the rules of the "Spare parts" forum should be revised then.
Sorry,i don't come to a modelling forum wanting to know about some of the terrible and sick things that are going on in the world.Firstly, nothing constructive ever comes about from it and flame wars/ heated discussions are the end result..
The spare parts forum rules states clearly in black and white no current events, so in my book current events that fall under terrorism/death/bombings/murder and school shootings should not by any means left to stagnate here.

dropshot
Visit this Community
Provincia de Pontevedra, Spain / España
entire network: 300 Posts
KitMaker Network: 80 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 12:19 AM UTC
I was just remembering the time at the height of an IRA bombing campaign,a car was parked illegally between the main postal sorting office & the central bus station in Sheffield, It had irish number plates. It took a while for the bomb squad to arrive then blow the windows out & after ascertaining that the brief-case in the back seat contained wires etc. they proceeded to blast it with the shotgun on the robot ,no big bang. The owner arrived & was severely pissed off to find his car in that state with his brief-case containing stethoscope,medical equipment etc. shot to bits. Maybe he should have had more sense & a bit more respect for the law because as far as I know he didn´t get any compensation. After living in Spain for over ten years I´ve reached the conclusion that places immersed in red tape, rules & regulations are the ones where they are least applied. Moral: when abroad be aware & respect the laws.
sweaver
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 759 Posts
KitMaker Network: 131 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 12:54 AM UTC
Come on guys. Lets not get nasty here, unless you want your post to be locked down (it has happened to me once).
markm
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 03:27 AM UTC
Personal opinion only:

Threads getting to this point are probably the exact reason for the rule of "No Current Events". everybody has their own politacal beliefs and reasonings. Nobody is going to agree on everything.
Tapper
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 664 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 03:54 AM UTC
And just a quick side-note. Please be sure to keep all your opinions as "Politically Correct" and "Sensitive" as possible. You dont want to offend the people planting the bombs.