_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!
Built a model or part from your own materials lately?
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
First Time Scratchbuilder
LSniper
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 223 Posts
KitMaker Network: 45 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 29, 2007 - 12:53 AM UTC
What would be a good tank for a First Time Scratchbuilder

Matt
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,594 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 29, 2007 - 04:05 AM UTC
Matt,
Built this in 1/76 scale years (eons ) ago was a good test ---took plans from a Airfix mag if I remember .........needs "carrier "wheels an track ....

Some stats here
http://www.btinternet.com/~ian.a.paterson/equiparmourtanks.htm " TARGET="_blank"> http://www.btinternet.com/~ian.a.paterson/equiparmourtanks.htm
http://www.answers.com/topic/light-tanks-of-the-uk " TARGET="_blank"> http://www.answers.com/topic/light-tanks-of-the-uk
Nice one to start as it mainly "slab" work ...also give your research noddle a test ......Will look out drawings if you want to attempt it ---but be a couple of weeks --holiday
aye
BARV
(GOSMG)

Edit.....Airfix Magazine Guide 5 ........Tankand AFV Modelling.....Gerald Scarborough...page 10-11
andrew94
entire network: 3 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 29, 2007 - 05:25 AM UTC
I was going to do my first scratchbuild as well. I really like WWI armor and thought that the A7V would be a good first tank to scratchbuild. Its a little harder to get references, and it is kinda ugly, but I kinda like it that way! Besides, there are no complex curves or shapes. Just big sheets of styrene at some basic angles. The undercarriage and tracks are gonna be a real pain though I think.
ninjrk
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 1,381 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 29, 2007 - 05:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I was going to do my first scratchbuild as well. I really like WWI armor and thought that the A7V would be a good first tank to scratchbuild. Its a little harder to get references, and it is kinda ugly, but I kinda like it that way! Besides, there are no complex curves or shapes. Just big sheets of styrene at some basic angles. The undercarriage and tracks are gonna be a real pain though I think.

Personally, I'd go with one of the British Mk IV-V for a first time scratchbuild. There are some tricky angles with the A7V, especially with the hull overhangs. the other advantage of the rhomboid tanks is that most of the suspension is hidden so you don't have to build it!

Matt
andrew94
entire network: 3 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 29, 2007 - 05:37 AM UTC
I certainly don't want to hijac this thread from LSniper, but I think some of my questions will be of interest to him as well. When building the tank hulls, do you try to get the scale thickness of the armor as well? I could see how that might be really flimsy.
LSniper
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 12:05 PM UTC
Would a Leopard C2 Canadian Version be a good first tank to Scratchbuild

Matt
SAS007
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 238 Posts
KitMaker Network: 132 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 06, 2007 - 12:01 PM UTC
Hi Matt
I'm in the process of doing my first scratch-build for the ACUTR campaign
I'm attempting to build the "Kozma Minin" armoured train,

The reason I've decided to do it is that it's mainly a box shape with other boxes attached so should be simple and straight forward
As my old dad (BARV) has said something with a simple shape is helpful to start with
What scale were you thinking of doing ??

SAS007
LSniper
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, July 06, 2007 - 12:14 PM UTC
I'm thinking of doing 1/35th scale
AVRE165
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 181 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 11:14 AM UTC
Ok I am lucky in that I don’t live far from the tank museum now.
My first scratch build was my easiest would you believe. Using a Crusader kit I built an A13 cruiser it is a simple design to start with.
What allot of people get wrong with scratch building is research and try to build it to fast. Ending up with a spoilt look, I have seen great scratch builds ruined by bad painting and always prime your kit or just use a paint brush with some thin paint has to see all those joins which are not cleaned up enough I use super clue and baking powder but there are many more way i.e. mill putty etc.
Once built a section before adding those more important details clean with a fiber pen to clean everything up.
study all your information over and over again to you really know teh vehicel in depth. includeing all the weld marks.

I have a Rule when I build to a scratch build it goes like this

1 ) the vehicle type ie tank or wheeled, what you want to display it as.
2) Pictures, both a real example, museum, and in service pictures.
3) Decide a scale I work in 35th and 12mm to the foot.
4) What can I use which is available i.e. Flui tracks, etch brass, or what kit can I use as a base for the scratch build
5) the most important is a Build list. So as you get near the end you then get the kick out of ticking all the bits off.

Example. A13 cruiser tank

1) Build it in Dunkirk or desert.
2) 300 pictures of real vehicle, plans & magazine articles. Real measurements
3) 1/35
4) Italaria Crusader Mk1 kit, Flui track for the crusader tank same track. Crusaders etch brass.
5) Build list, hull basic box, rear drive housing, drivers hatches , suspension , wheels, engine decks, deck handles, air cleaners etc, etc
see how it is done.

I have over 100 projects which I have been researching over the last 30 years and still some can not be built because I can not find one thing out.

. if you have real measurements which are the best, if not try and find something which you know the actual size. And work from there. Word of warning, do not use photocopied plans because they distort in the middle and they can be a difference of a couple of millimeters. But if you want to use photocopied plans get them printed on a LASER PRINTER and you can them at your local shop to produce them to the actual scale you are working to, at least three copies.

Ok the plastic thickness
Look here http://www.evergreenscalemodels.com/conversions.htm
this will show you the thickness of plastic so example I want to build a Centurion Hull it is 50mm thick real time divide by 35 = 1.5 thickness of the plastic card which is 60 thou.

I have a box which has every one of every green shapes strips in it and stacks of the different size sheets. http://www.evergreenscalemodels.com/index.html
Read the website it has some great information on it.

I would try to master plastic before trying to build some thing complicated. Also there is also several meaning to scratch builds
1) A vehicle which 90% built from scratch, common to see tracks and wheels used from kits.
2) Conversions which is your leopard C2 because you are converting the basic kit and is less then 50% of the vehicle. Even though you have scratch built it.

Easiest way to start is to convert a plastic kit then go from there. Or build something like the A13.
Hope this helps and please do not hesitate to contact me if needed.
Hope this helps Ossie

KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
entire network: 4,011 Posts
KitMaker Network: 879 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 03:20 AM UTC
wow, very thorough and complete reply post. Thank you.

old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 03:56 AM UTC
[ As my old dad (BARV) has said something with a simple shape is helpful to start with
What scale were you thinking of doing ??

SAS007[/quote]

..that's your father?! Yeah, I can see why your asking for help here...
{oh oh...I better duck!} BTW...how goes that train?
SAS007
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 02:11 AM UTC
Hi Bob

All stop on the model front at the moment .. Kids on Summer Holiday from school (6 weeks )
They go back next week so hopefully get back to it.

old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 01:34 PM UTC
Steve, keep pluggin away at it...you'll get it......and my kids start the 23rd!

Matt, find a piece that's easy to build and find research on, you'll need lots of pics and 3 views. I like finding a good 3 view{side/front/top} and scale it to building size with a scale ruler...use any scale that fits/matches. then use a 1/35 ruler to start building and laying out your marks for cuts and dimensions. I have used the computer before{eats alot of RAM} to blow up 3 views{or whatever reference pic your using} to actual build size{like a model airplane plan}, tile print them and tape together. Build whatever you feel comfortable with...if it gets too complicated, set it aside and try something else, or ask here for help.
feldgrau
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 496 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 06:32 AM UTC
This threat contains some great info. Thank you all ... I'm dreaming to do one scrath build vehicle myself .. but it's the most difficult thing to undertaken I find .. The train looks great .. perhaps ...

best wishes
Johan

SAS007
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 01:40 PM UTC
Hi Matt / Johan
I was looking through my collection of picures and came across this

If you haven't decided what to build yet , just thought you might like the look of it.

Steve C Jnr
P.S. Sorry don't have any sizes
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2007 - 02:15 PM UTC
"Don't have any sizes"...not a real problem for a seasoned scratcher, once you get some givens. Print out pic...find out what size rims it has...make a scale ruler for that printout from the rim diameter{other items known sizes add to accuracy} and you can progressively map out the size of that vehicle. I just did that for a dodge cabover.
 _GOTOTOP