_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Is anybody using Wheel masks
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2007 - 12:45 PM UTC
Yo,

Anybody using wheel masks for painting all these Modern things M1's M2's and so forth or how are you painting the Wheel,s black outline around wheel.

Thanks
goldstandard
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 208 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2007 - 12:53 PM UTC
Well, for wheels one technique is to paint the hub color first, then use a circle cutter to cut a cover for the hub from either frisket or wide masking tape, and then with the mask on paint the tire color.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2007 - 01:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, for wheels one technique is to paint the hub color first, then use a circle cutter to cut a cover for the hub from either frisket or wide masking tape, and then with the mask on paint the tire color.

Okay understood.
Any suggestions on name of this circle cutter?

Thanks
Gunfighter
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 374 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2007 - 09:59 PM UTC
I actually do the opposite. I spray the wheel with my chosen dark color, most likely Tamiya NATO Black. Once it dries, I use a circle template from Staples (or any art or office supply store) and hold the wheel behind it so that the outer wheel is masked by the template and that the inner wheel is inside the ring. I then spray the inner wheel whatever base color I plan on using. With a little practice, I can get through road wheels pretty quickly.

- Frank
 _GOTOTOP