History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Were German tanks paraded during wartime?
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,362 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2007 - 04:20 PM UTC
Obviously German tanks were displayed aplenty prior to WW2, but what about when the war was underway? Were the Tigers and Panthers paraded before the German public before being sent out to combat. I was wondering when I've seen no pictures of that happening.
SFraser
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 112 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 02:01 AM UTC
From what I can remember Panzer's were paraded in Tripoli shortly after Rommel's arrival, in 1941. They were made to go around twice to fool British Intelligence that he had more Panzers than he had.
Scott
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,362 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 09:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

From what I can remember Panzer's were paraded in Tripoli shortly after Rommel's arrival, in 1941. They were made to go around twice to fool British Intelligence that he had more Panzers than he had.
Scott

I read that story, but that the effort failed when somebody noticed one of the Panzer III tanks had a track defect which made a distinctive noise and that was how the trick was discovered.

I was thinking of parading the tanks on display to the German civilian public, in this case.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 12:23 PM UTC
I can't recall ever seeing this on news films. The first thought that came to mind is that if they did this any time after the daylight bombing campaign really got going what a terrific target those parading tanks would make.

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2007 - 09:15 AM UTC
The only pictures I've ever seen were of the early Panzer 1's and II's at somethng like one of those huge rallies in Nuremburg. I think they did parade them through Paris after it's fall in 1940 we've all seen pictures of the troops marching down the Champs deElysee (however you spell that big road ) so I would imagine there would have been tanks and trucks pulling atillery and the like as well.
Momann
Visit this Community
Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany
entire network: 61 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 14, 2009 - 11:19 AM UTC
I don't think they paraded the latest tanks in public. After the first Tigers and Panthers were finished they had to be transported to Russia as soon as possible and in 1944/45 they were desperately needed to fight the Allies so in both cases there wouldn't have been much time to show off your tanks.
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,192 Posts
KitMaker Network: 386 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 14, 2009 - 12:56 PM UTC
There was a large parade in Paris in 1942, at which the SS Leibstandarte paraded all it's new equipment before returning to Russia. The salute was taken by von Rundstedt as OB West. There was also a parade of Leon Degrelle's 28th SS PzGr Div "Wallonie" in Brussels after their return from Russia in which some armoured vehicles took part. Any parades during wartime were probably along these lines - units parading before leaving for the front, or for the receipt of decorations.
chicane
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 201 Posts
KitMaker Network: 39 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2009 - 02:00 AM UTC
hi ive seen a few pictures of some panthers being used at a tank commanders funeral procession as a mark of respect i think it was somewere in france must look it up