Can I use a Euro Compressor in the US?
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,250 Posts
KitMaker Network: 266 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 09:33 AM UTC
Hola!

Got my old air Compressor from Sweden and bought be a adapter plug. Now my question is, what is the difference in voltage going to cause? Sweden uses 220W and US uses 110W. Will it not run, will it burn the place down or is not going to do anything? I'd love to know before I try!
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 09:58 AM UTC
For sure you won't burn it because voltage is lower in the US, it cannot start working or, more likely, il will not worki properly due to several factors. I think that if you go to Radio Shack or some other similar shop you can finf a transformer. I remeber I bougth one to power one of the first laptop PCs I brought from Italy and it worked fine, but the Amperes were low...
panzer_fan
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 427 Posts
KitMaker Network: 66 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 04:52 AM UTC
Anders,
Just seen your post. Scoccia is right. Go to Radio Shack or Personal Edge or any other store that might have these specialities (you can try a travel store or something like that). I have a kit at home that transforms from 220 to 110 with adapters for every possible type of outlet ( as you know already, in Europe you can find different type of outlet plugs). It was ~$60 canadian, but it works very well.
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 494 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 05:05 AM UTC
Washer outlets and some stove outlets are 220V so maybe it will work if you plug it in there.

Rob
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,250 Posts
KitMaker Network: 266 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 06:58 AM UTC
Hola Guys!

Thanks for the suggestions! However, I bought a 220 adapter at Radio Shack and it dindt put out enough amps to make anything work. The compressor would work, but the air preasuure was terrible. I guess I'll just have to buy a US Compressor

Thanks again!
 _GOTOTOP