_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Lazy man's SLAT armor
JNSA
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
entire network: 6 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 08:22 AM UTC
Well, I recently returned to modeling, and in order to practice a bit, I’m recycling some of my old kits. One of them was an Italeri M113 that I did a long time ago, and which came out dreadful. I removed all of the paint, glued some broken parts and I’m going to do an hypothetical Portuguese Army M113 on a UN mission. One of the things I wanted to try was a field improvised SLAT armor. But, being a lazy person and knowing my own limitations, I knew that I couldn’t replicate some of the amazing examples of SLAT armor I’ve seen on this forum… I also wasn’t going to buy an after market kit. So I started to dig thru my spares box and I found something which could do the trick – spare railings from a Tirpitz battleship I built several years ago. The width of the grid is a bit narrow for a 1/35 M113 but that wasn’t a concern, as I this isn’t based on any real vehicle. So enough talk, here are some quick pictures I took to illustrate this method.

Railings from ships of different scales and with different patterns will give you different results of course.
If anyone had already discovered this technique, sorry for the involuntary copyright violation…

wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 43 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 12:53 AM UTC
JNSA,
Interesting idea. Mybe you could post a couple of pics with the armor installed so we can see what it looks like on your build.
 _GOTOTOP