_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
What am I doing wrong?
karnaaj
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 19 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 01:45 PM UTC
On the recommendation of someone at my LHS I have started using Tamiya's thin glue. I don't know why but it won't hold worth a darn. Parts that I glued 3 weeks ago and set aside just fell apart from just picking them up. I'm getting tired of having to reglue things over and over. Any ideas?
Phil_H
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 78 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 03:13 PM UTC
You're probably trying to use the Tamiya cement in the same way as you would traditional tube cement. ie. paint it on a part and then put the parts together. This doesn't work because the cement evaporates too quickly.

Tamiya (and other liquid) cement works best when you hold the two parts together and touch the brush to the joint. Capillary action will draw the cement into the join.

Liquid cements work best on parts where there are long join seams and less so (though they can still be used) on small intricate sub-assemblies. Be careful when using it on small detail areas because its ability to flow down seams also means it will flow just as easily along moulded lines (watch those fingers!) - a little goes a long way.

Once you get the hang of it you'll love it. Good luck..
karnaaj
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 19 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 03:21 PM UTC
What you say makes sense. What are some alternatives to use in a situation where the thin cement is not the ideal solution?
Gunfighter
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 374 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 03:39 PM UTC
Tamiya also makes a regular liquid cement. It has a longer drying time and is slightly thicker. I've used it when I needed a bit more working time.

The brush on it holds a ton of glue and isn't good for application per se. I'd use either an extra brush from the extra thin or some other applicator if you choose to try it out.

- Frank
 _GOTOTOP