_GOTOBOTTOM
Buy, Sell or Trade
This forum is for all selling and buying related topics.
What do you do when the deal goes sour?
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 6,149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,551 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2007 - 11:52 PM UTC
I think I have been riped off. Traded a great deal on this site without a problem until now. If I believe I am a victim, what can be done about it? The guy negotiated with me for two model in exchange for the M-26 Dragon Wagon. I sent him my models as promised and have not heard a word from him.....now what
thanks
DJ
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 12:43 AM UTC
I assume you have tried to contact him and get some sort of status on your kits. Either he is ignoring you, has an emergency that took him out of town or is otherwise unable to go forward with the deal (money, health, time).

I'd do a quick internet search of his name on various modeling websites. Many bad dealers are notorious on the main modeling websites and have had bad trader alerts posted.

I'd also post a bad trader alert and inform him that you will retract the post when he makes good.
WarWheels
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,816 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 01:30 AM UTC
Thankfully I've only been ripped off a couple times in my 12+ years of trading online. The times I did, I just posted the facts and let everyone else draw their conclusions. Just be completely honest, present the facts, and you protect yourself against defamation/libel/slander claims, yet you give others a "warning".

Good luck DJ.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 01:36 AM UTC
You feel so frustrated. I upheld my end of the bargain. Put the boxes in the mail, paid for a confirmation delivery and then get nothing in the way of a response from the other person. I agree with Rob that you feel like a heel if the poor guy had a real life emergency that precluded a response, but, at the same time, you have an obligation to tell others that something is not right. I'll give the guy until tomorrow to respond to the five plus e mails I sent him. Does Armorama have a policy that addresses these situations?
thanks again
DJ
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 03:16 AM UTC
Again, do a forum search for bad traders. See how those posts were handled and extrapolate a solution for yourself. You will see folks post confrontationally, matter-of-factly, and some as a plea for help.
Gunfighter
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 374 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 04:22 AM UTC
Though I'd been fortunate to not be in your situation, I would go with Sabot's suggestion. I would opt for starting out with a request for information - i.e. "Has anyone heard from ?" or "Any feedback in dealing with ?"

I'd choose to start in a non-confrontational manner and escalate as necessary. That is, unless, you find in your research the guy has done this several times before. In that case, I'd start with the "bad trader" tone.

- Frank
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 04:57 AM UTC
Well, let's see how it rolls. Look for the post.
thanks
DJ
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 01:18 PM UTC
After Reading all the Bull you have been putting up with I think I Saw an old M26 at my LHS.

Do you want me to ask him about It DJ?

Would put you in touch with Him.

But then again I might want it also

Hobby lobby use to have the Tractor all the Time and with a coupon was a good deal.
Johnston_RCR
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 470 Posts
KitMaker Network: 101 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 02:33 PM UTC
Well, one option is a site I referred a few people to, after reading the sticked post. http://www.recol.ca. Im not sure if it has to involve a Canadian for that site to take interest, but Im sure there are a few organizations like this one in the US as well. While I dont have one to refer you to, a search should come up with something. Suggestions to try are online fraud, trade fraud, and online auction fraud organizations. I have found a lot have police co-operation.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 11:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

After Reading all the Bull you have been putting up with I think I Saw an old M26 at my LHS.

Do you want me to ask him about It DJ?

Would put you in touch with Him.

But then again I might want it also

Hobby lobby use to have the Tractor all the Time and with a coupon was a good deal.

Jefff-- that is very decent of you and I appreciate your offer of assistance. I will just let it ride for the moment trusting that the individual who is in default will come to his senses. Of course, I am assuming he had the kit to begin with, but one can only hope at this stage. I am wondering whether a postal inspector would consider this fraud since the mail was used to deliver items and he failed to respond.
Hmmm?
Thanks again
DJ
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 11:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, one option is a site I referred a few people to, after reading the sticked post. http://www.recol.ca. Im not sure if it has to involve a Canadian for that site to take interest, but Im sure there are a few organizations like this one in the US as well. While I dont have one to refer you to, a search should come up with something. Suggestions to try are online fraud, trade fraud, and online auction fraud organizations. I have found a lot have police co-operation.

Kevin-- good call! I will try that approach.
thanks
DJ
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 12:45 AM UTC
The first thing I'd recommend is patience. I think you've probably waited long enough, just because that seems to be the type of guy you are, but I've seen some people do a "rush to judgment." They post bad trader alerts on deals that are only a day or so late in arriving. That doesn't help anybody. While you're waiting you might do some research on the person you're dealing with. The one time I was pretty sure I'd been ripped off I searched for posts from the person I was dealing with, then saw if anybody else had responded to their posts. I then PM'd the other people to see how their trades had gone. Turned out very quickly that there were others in the same boat as me.

Once you're as sure as you can be that your deal has gone south, and that you're probably dealing with a slime ball, the gloves come off. My Grandma used to have a saying "I'll tell the world" that really applies. Shout it out on every website that will let you. (I believe there are some sites that have a policy of not letting people post bad trader alerts. Thankfully Armorama isn't one of them.) Document every piece of communication you've had, along with dates, to use as evidence. Check with the local police department, of both your own and the area where you sent the package, fraud division to see if they can suggest a course of action. You might also check with your local television or radio stations or newspapers to see if they have any kind of consumer advocate reporter. They may be able to advise you of other agencies to contact. They may even think it interesting enough to do a piece on it.

Of course if by chance, even after waiting and documenting, the trade finally does go through as agreed, you should post that fact every place you posted the alerts. Again tell everybody the facts. It might just mean that the other party wanted to shut you up and that others might still need to be warned.

210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 01:21 AM UTC
Rodger-- you raise a host of good points. While I probably will never see the M-26 Dragon Wagon I was to receive in exchange for my DML M4A3E8 Sherman and Panzerjager when a person suddenly no longer has an e mail at sbcglobal on the same day he received the two models, one no longer has a healthy suspicion of wrongdoing. If this person is a crook then no one should suffer the same loss of their property to such an unscrupulous individual. I am not posting his name on this web site forum. I will gladly provide it via PM to any interested person. At the same time, I think it is encumbant upon the members of this site to establish some rules of the road for trading/selling. There is a post already started on this subject area that I would encourage others to review and contribute to. I think it is also appropriate that there be a permanent number one post in this area reflecting the points other raise on engaging in transactions.
My thoughts.
DJ
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 12:58 PM UTC
Understood Sir
 _GOTOTOP