_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Deforming sprues
Sandbox
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 350 Posts
KitMaker Network: 179 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2003 - 07:37 AM UTC
Has anyone found a product for heating plastic sprues or sheets? I used to use a candle when modeling in my youth but there should be a more controlled method for melting, bending and shaping plastic than that these days.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2003 - 07:40 AM UTC
Other than a minuature butane torch the candle still rules. I use a candle for streatching sprue into antena.
For sheet styreen I use hot water for shaping.
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2003 - 07:56 AM UTC
These are the methods I use:
- using a candle start from a long distance and find the right one for the platsic you use
- put the plastic sheet (plasticard or acetate) into boiling hot water give it a few seconds and bend
- use an hair dryer instead of the candle
Ciao
KiwiDave
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
entire network: 248 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2003 - 08:05 PM UTC
I have used a candle for years and I still can't get it right!

I have a theory that the heat source is not the important thing, its recognising when the sprue is the right temperature. I can get a sprue to stretch but it is a bit hit and miss and a lot of my attempts end in 'lumpy' or broken pieces.

The descriptions of how to do it always sound so easy.

I do find that the candle flame has a calming effect on my composure though.

Regards Dave

AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 01:09 AM UTC
IMHO, there is only one product to stretch sprue, the Stretcher, Sprue, Mk1A and Mk1B produced by the BIC corporation of Bridgeport CT. The difference between the two simply the size.
Seriously, as far as sprue goes, once you learn the right point on a given plastic type (not all plastic is created equal), you should be able to regulate the thickness by the speed at which you pul it out. A slow pull results in a relatively thick sprue while a faster pull gives you a hair thin strand. With practice, you should be able to even get a consistent taper.
The best thing about this is the raw material is free.
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 01:15 AM UTC
I agree with Al - each plastic has its own temperature limit. I believe it varies from kit to kit within manufaturer also. As far as technique goes I usually get as many straight sprue sections as I can from a given kit and anticipate stretching every one of them. I slowly rotate the sprue over the flame (no this isn't the cooking channel) until I see the color change and a wet appearance start. Then I wiggle the two ends to get a better feel for how loose the middle is.
Depending on thickness I adjust my pull speed as Al mentioned. Slow = thick, fast = thin.
For one antena I usually pull about 5 pieces until I get the right length and thickness.
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 01:15 AM UTC
I agree with Al - each plastic has its own temperature limit. I believe it varies from kit to kit within manufaturer also. As far as technique goes I usually get as many straight sprue sections as I can from a given kit and anticipate stretching every one of them. I slowly rotate the sprue over the flame (no this isn't the cooking channel) until I see the color change and a wet appearance start. Then I wiggle the two ends to get a better feel for how loose the middle is.
Depending on thickness I adjust my pull speed as Al mentioned. Slow = thick, fast = thin.
For one antena I usually pull about 5 pieces until I get the right length and thickness.
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 6,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,013 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 01:49 AM UTC
i remember a method using an electric bulb.if i can find the article i will send it here.
 _GOTOTOP