_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
New airbrush, with questions...
DM1975
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 50 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 08:32 AM UTC
I just bought my first double action airbrush today. It is an Aztek 4702. I got it new in the box on ebay for $50.00 I have had a few single action brushes in the past and realy dont know anything about them. Did I get a good deal, and is it a decent setup? What else should I get to go with it? I plan on just useing aerosol cans for it till I can save up for a compresor. Thanks in advance for the help.
DM1975
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 07:42 AM UTC
Anyone?
sgtkopp
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 103 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 09:00 AM UTC
overall its a good AB i got mine on Evilbay about three yrs ago and have used it from general work to small detail stuff

it still needs to be cleaned alot just like a regular AB and sometimes you will need to take the nozzels apart and get the residue out of them

my problem with them is that it was never consistiant enough for me and if you use acylics you will get tip dry alot unless you use a retarder mixed in with the paint

the new tips are $10 so treat them right so they last

hope this helps you out a bit
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,339 Posts
KitMaker Network: 624 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 09:45 AM UTC
Ive been using an Aztec for the last couple years now and spray acrylics only. Its a decent brush for general work as Rob has said. If you have the tan nozzle, you will be able do to fairly fine lines with proper thinning and pressure settings. I use the Tamiya and Model Master acrylics and use thier own brand of thinners. To date, Ive never had tip clogging issues...

Dave
DM1975
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 10:02 AM UTC
Thanks for the information. Was it a fair deal at least? Also would you reccomend getting all the availabe tips or just a couple, and which ones?

I am planning to use propellant cans right now but plan on moving up to a compressor sometime in the future. Is there any other accessories I should get?

Thanks, this realy helps me out. Airbrushes are completely foriegn to me.
DM1975
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 12:12 PM UTC
Well I got it in today. Easy to use and it felt good in my hand. Ten time better than what I did have, which was nothing...
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,339 Posts
KitMaker Network: 624 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 10:30 AM UTC
Stephen,
I use the tan nozzle almost exclusively. Tell you how often I use it, I cant really remember using anything else. I find that even though it gives a fairly small pattern, I have better control over the paint. I think I may have used the blue nozzle when I painted me Karl Gerat...If you didnt get the tan nozzle, invest in one, you wont be sorry.

Dave
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 12:59 PM UTC
A little tip if you are going to use canned air.
Place the can in a container of WARM NOT HOT water. It will keep the can from frosting as the pressure drops, and help equalize the pressure coming out of the can.
DM1975
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2007 - 03:28 PM UTC
Thank you all for the help. I hope to have some good examples to post on here soon.
 _GOTOTOP