TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Just Saw Gods & Generals
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 12:01 PM UTC
This is really a movie about Stonewall Jackson. He is clearly the central character and much of the film seems to revolve about his deep Christian faith and the apparent dichotomy of his being a fierce warrior wanting to give no quarter to his enemies and, in fact, to "kill every man of them." The uniforms and equipment are spot on. The 28th Massts. Irish Brigrade wears its boxwood sprigs into the folly at Fredricksbug's Marye's Heights. The battles are intense and prolonged but generally sanitized to get a PG rating as opposed to The Patriot's gory intensity. Despite its 3 and a half hour length and stately pacing, it seemed to go quickly.
Absolutely worth seeing. :-)
Quibbles: As with Gettysburg the beards seem unnatural. The computer generated longshots of Fredricksburg might have been a bit better. Martin Sheen makes a better Robert E. Lee than Bobby Duval does.
PfcGreen
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 103 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 04:55 PM UTC
I just saw it aswell, a very well done and enjoyable film...I'd give it a 9 out of 10.
User_789
Visit this Community
Sweden
entire network: 476 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2003 - 05:01 AM UTC
Stonewall Jackson (Fans?)... here is a figure from Verlinden... I haven't seen the movie, are they alike at all?

1stsgt
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 173 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 12:09 PM UTC
I saw "Gods and Generals the other night, Feb 28 2003, i agree that it was centered around Stonewall Jackson. But i am a soldier's soldier i never cried when o bury comardes in arms or even at the lost of family, but when the little girl "Jane" died i broke alittle, but then lost it when Jackson died. It was a great movie from an Civil war reenactor view.
shermanfreak
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 380 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 04:54 PM UTC
Still waiting for the theatres to run it here...rather disappointing considering some of the crap they are running. But I will be one of the first in line when it gets here finally.
Aragorn IMO I think you did real nice work on this figure but the mold isn't very close to Jackson.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 08:29 PM UTC
Being a civl war reinactor, a military historian and a grduate of the VMI this is one movie I haveto see on the big screen. Read the reviews (from you guys not idiot crtics) looks like a winner
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 08:35 PM UTC
Oh in case any of you didn't know it Tomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson was a professor of Physics and Mathematics at the VMI prior to the war. His nickname was "fool Tom" his horse Little Sorrel is stuffed and at the VMI museum and he is buried in Lexington Virginia His famous statement "the Institute shall be heard from today" as he saw all the VMI graduates leading troops right before the battle of Chancellorsville

Steven M. Joyce

VMI '76
shermanfreak
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 380 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 03:26 PM UTC
Spent a very pleasurable afternoon at VMI, Washington & Lee, and walking around that very graveyard 2 years ago. Highly recommended.